Awards and Achievements
The Department of Neurosurgery proudly recognizes its residents who compete for and win intramural and extramural awards nationally. These awards range from the merits in research, education, leadership, and clinical excellence.
- Richard B. Morawetz Research Prize- Martin Mortazavi, MD.
- Griffith R. Harsh Research Prize- Daxa Patel, MD.
- J. Garber Galbraith Research Prize- Thomas R. Whisenhunt, MD, PhD
- James "Buddy" Nobles Jr. Resident Education Award – Kimberly P. Kicielinski, MD
- UAB Resident Leadership Award- Robert P. Naftel, MD
- Annual Neurosurgery Charity Softball Tournament- Alabama (Semi-finalist)
- Richard B. Morawetz Research Prize- Matthew R. Fusco, MD
- Griffith R. Harsh Research Prize- Amber S. Gordon, MD
- J. Garber Galbraith Research Prize- Joseph H. Miller, MD
- James "Buddy" Nobles Jr. Resident Education Award - Christoph Griessenauer, MD
- UAB Resident Leadership Award- Mahesh B. Shenai, MD, MSE
- Annual Neurosurgery Charity Softball Tournament- Alabama (Finalist)
- James "Buddy" Nobles Jr. Resident Education Award - Mahesh B. Shenai, MD,MSE
- UAB Resident Leadership Award- Jason Cormier, MD
- SANS Neurosurgical Resident "Jeopardy" Challenge- Mahesh B. Shenai, MD,MSE and Christoph Griessenauer, MD (Second Place)
- Southern Neurosurgical Society Augustus McCravey Research Prize- David F. Bauer MD
- Southern Neurosurgical Society Augustus McCravey Research Prize- Mahesh B. Shenai, MD, MSE
J. Garber Galbraith, MD Scientific Session and Lecture
The Division of Neurosurgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham was initially founded and nurtured by Dr. J. Garber Galbraith in the 1950s. To honor Dr. Galbraith's achievements and contributions, The Division of Neurosurgery at UAB established a scientific session and lecture series. The J. Garber Galbraith Lecture is given annually by a guest neurosurgeon noted for his or her significant contributions to neurosurgery. The Galbraith Scientific Session features the research and achievements of both past and present neurosurgery residents. The lecture and session series culminates with a dinner for faculty, residents, and guests.
The Twenty-Ninth Annual J. Garber Galbraith, MD Scientific Session and Lecture took place November 2, 2012. Along with the faculty, the J. Garber Galbraith Lecturer, Daniel L. Barrow, MD evaluated qualifying resident presentations and abstracts. Presenters with the highest scores for content, organization, and delivery received awards for their research.
Left to right: Third place – Richard B. Morawetz, MD Resident Prize for Research: Martin Mortazavi, MD; Second place – Griffith Rutherford Harsh III, MD Resident Prize for Research: Daxa Patel, MD; First place – James Garber Galbraith, MD Resident Prize for Research: Thomas Whisenhunt, MD