UAB Neurosurgery: Give Something, Change Everything
By any measure, UAB Neurosurgery is expanding; increasing its expertise and capabilities, treating more patients with complex neurosurgical disease, leading the field in new approaches to patient care and technology, in scientific study and understanding, in research and the generation of new knowledge, and in training the best candidates in the most thorough and contemporary methods.
- We have the physician leadership.
- We have the clinical and research skills and expertise.
- We have the commitment.
- We have a proven track record in productivity, patient care, instruction and education.
The Campaign for UAB: Priorities for Neurosurgery
The Campaign for UAB is an eight-year, comprehensive fundraising initiative focused on transformational gifts.
“Give Something, Change Everything” is the theme of this campaign that will lead to vastly improved health care, educational opportunities, economic development and quality of life throughout our community, state, nation and beyond.
In partnership with the UAB Development Office, the Neurosurgery Women’s Leadership Council is leading the effort to secure transformational philanthropic gifts to support the following priorities for the current phase of The Campaign for UAB:
Clinical Research Scholars in Neurosurgery – spendable and endowed funds to underwrite resident research projects, travel to scientific conferences and other related activities that contribute to resident training.
Gifts at every level make a difference; gifts of $25,000 and up offer a naming opportunity at the donor’s discretion, i.e. the John and Mary Jones Clinical Research Scholar in Neurosurgery. Ultimately, we seek to endow the program at $7.5 million, which will produce investment income that will sustain the Clinical Research Scholars program in perpetuity.
For more on Clinical Research Scholars, click here.
Research Acceleration Funds – spendable funds to support novel studies related to a wide range of neurosurgical conditions and their treatment options, including spinal conditions, brain tumors, neurovascular conditions, epilepsy, movement disorders and pediatric neurosurgery.
Intraoperative MRI – spendable funds to assist with the acquisition of an intraoperative MRI that will greatly enhance accuracy and safety for patients undergoing surgery for brain tumors, epilepsy or movement disorders. This technology also will have a tremendous impact on research. UAB seeks to secure $2 million in philanthropic investment to leverage institutional investment in this important project.
Endowed Professorships and Endowed Chairs in Neurosurgery – endowed funds that support the academic activities of senior surgeon-scientists, and provide naming opportunities for their donors. Endowed professorships are $500,000; endowed chairs are $1.5 million.
The James Garber Galbraith Society - gifts go directly to fund Department of Neurosurgery initiatives. Gift levels from $1,000-$10,000.
Ways to Make a Gift
UAB gratefully accepts gifts to support the Department of Neurosurgery. Gifts to UAB are tax-deductible, and may be made in several forms, including:
- Cash: Cash gifts provide immediate benefits to the institution. The actual cost to the donor may be reduced by tax savings achieved through a charitable contribution deduction. Checks should be made payable to UAB Neurosurgery. Click here to make a gift online.
- Pledges: UAB accepts pledges payable over a period of up to five years. Pledges may be paid in equal or varying amounts, according to the donor’s wishes.
- Appreciated Marketable Securities: Giving appreciated securities may have special tax advantages. Within limitations, the donor may avoid the capital gains tax and be eligible for a charitable deduction for the full market value of such securities at the time of the gift. Contributions in excess of the limitations may be eligible for carryover to future tax years.
- Real Estate and Personal Property: Gifts of real estate and other personal property generally have the advantages described for gifts of securities, provided the property is a long-term capital asset in the hands of the donor. The donor’s qualified appraiser must determine fair market value for income tax purposes.
- Planned Gifts: UAB will be happy to provide further information about planned gifts, including bequests, Charitable Gift Annuities, Charitable Lead or Remainder Trusts, or the gift of life insurance, to fit your individual financial situation and charitable objectives.
For more information:
Leon H. Ryan III, Director of Development for the Department of Neurosurgery; 205-996-0127; email@example.com