Palliative Care at UAB is defined as "a comprehensive approach to caring for people with advanced or life threatening illness. This specialty is directed at supportive management of patients and their loved ones, with a focus on relief of physical, social, emotional, or spiritual suffering."
The UAB Center for Palliative and Supportive Care serves patients and families experiencing serious illness by providing compassionate clinical care, demonstrating leadership in teaching health professionals and trainees, conducting collaborative research, and influencing health care delivery and public policy.
Practicum and internship opportunities (inpatient and outpatient)
Clinical practicum (inpatient and outpatient)
- Inpatient palliative care units
- University Hospital
- Birmingham VA Medical Center
- Outpatient Supportive Care and Survivorship Clinic
- Integration of psychology and counseling services into an interdisciplinary team
- Intervention experience
- Acute and short-term interventions
- Eclectic therapeutic approach
- Treatment planning and documentation
- Weekly supervision
For more information, please download our Training Goals for Psychology/Counseling Service and contact: