Educational Activities and Learning Objectives
The Palliative Medicine Training Program strives to create an educational and scholarly environment for the conduct of graduate medical education, which facilitates each fellow's professional and personal development. In addition to duties and activities assigned and overseen by the Director during the course of fellowship training, fellows are expected to:
- Develop a personal program of learning to foster continued professional growth with guidance from the teaching staff.
- Participate in safe, effective and compassionate patient care under supervision, commensurate with their level of advancement and responsibility.
- Participate fully in the educational and scholarly activities of the Program and, as required, assume responsibility for teaching and supervising residents and students. The duties of fellows shall be to attend staff, Program, and Center meetings; attend any relevant staff or Hospital education meetings; and serve on Program, Hospital or service committees, as assigned.
- Participate as appropriate in institutional programs and medical staff activities and adhere to established practices, procedures and policies of the institutions granting privileges.
- As appropriate, participate in institutional committees and councils whose actions affect fellowship education and/or patient care.
- Submit to the Program Director formal evaluations of the faculty and of the educational experience.
The following learning objectives are based on the competencies for the field of palliative medicine and follow the six domains set by the American Council on Graduate Medical Education. The curriculum for the training experience which includes clinical rotations, didactics, special seminars, etc. will focus on assisting the fellow achieve competence in Palliative Medicine and these learning objectives. Appropriate evaluation methods will be utilized to assess the fellows in each area.
- Patient and Family Care
- Medical Knowledge
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Download Learning Objective Overview (pdf)