ASC Center for Excellence
Offerings of the UAB Cytopathology Center of Excellence
In November 2004, the University of Alabama at Birmingham Cytopathology Section was designated as a "Center of Excellence" by the American Society of Cytopathology. UAB is one of only six institutions to currently to hold this distinction. The Center of Excellence program is intended to identify institutions excelling in service, research, education and patient advocacy, coupled with the ability to serve as an educational resource to pathologists and cytotechnologists in their immediate region and nationally.
Below is a list of the educational offerings and resources provided by the UAB Cytopathology Center of Excellence.
- Educational resources available for on-site review:
- Current Cytopathology educational texts, CDs and journals
- Over 3000 slide study packets with corresponding cytology and histology from all body sites
- Weekly Cytopathology Conference(Thursday mornings 8:15-9:15) for pathologists, residents, cytotechnologists and students alternating between:
- Lectures on selected current topics
- Cytology Histology Correlation Microscopy Sessions
- Formal Educational Sessions
- In conjunction with UAB Department of Pathology "Annual Anatomic Pathology Update"
- Annual Cytopathology Lecture from nationally recognized experts
- Southern Association of Cytology
- Individually designed rotations for visiting residents and Cytopathology fellows from other institutions
- ThinPrep and Conventional GYN for cytotechnologists, cytotechnology students and pathologists
- Cytopreparatory Techniques
- Fine Needle Aspiration Service
- NGYN Cytology
- Support for Cytotechnology Training Programs UAB and Auburn/Montgomery
- Clinical affiliate site for student rotations
- All Cytotechnologists serve as clinical faculty
- Educational sessions presented by pathologists, residents, cytotechnologists
- GYN teaching slides donated annually(Thinprep and conventional)
- Equipment and reagent donations
- General Resources in Cytopathology- Members of our Center of Excellence welcome questions pertaining to all aspects of Cytopathology. Expertise and resources can be offered in the following areas:
- Advances in technology
- Computer systems
Additional information may be obtained by contacting any of the Directors of the Center of Excellence.
© Copyright by the University of Alabama at Birmingham
Site Last Updated: Nov 10th, 2010 - 08:43:46