|Richard J. Whitley, M.D.
|David W. Kimberlin, M.D.
- Pediatric HIV infection - pathogenesis, drug resistance, breast milk transmission, nutritional micronutrient and antioxidant assessment and the epidemiology of adolescent infections
- Cytomegalovirus - pathogenesis and transmission mechanisms of congenital CMV, predictors of adverse outcomes, mechanisms of hearing loss, and therapy and vaccine development
- Herpes Simplex Virus - pathogenic mechanisms, therapy and vaccine development, and use in gene therapy
- Antiviral research - animal models for viral diseases, clinical trial methodology, host resistance to viral-induced diseases, viral assembly, and molecular epidemiology
- General infectious diseases - perinatal infections, streptococcus pneumonia, respiratory syncytial virus, and Varicella-Zoster virus
In addition to its University focused activities, the Division also houses the Central Office for the Collaborative Anti-viral Study Group (CASG), a multi-institutional research group which focuses on clinical trials of anti-viral drugs in both pediatric and adult populations.