The Department of Psychiatry offers a two year residency in child and adolescent psychiatry. Traditionally, this residency follows the PGY-III or PGY-IV training years in general psychiatry. However, alternative sequences for completing residency training in child and adolescent psychiatry can be designed. Applicants who wish to achieve their training in child and adolescent psychiatry in an alternative sequence are encouraged to discuss their ideas and needs with the training director.
UAB Center for Psychiatric Medicine
1713 6th Avenue South, 7th floor
Birmingham, AL 35294
Telephone: (205) 975-8204 or 1-800-782-1133
- To provide excellence in clinical care, education and training, and research in the field of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- To serve as a community and regional resource advocating for the needs of children and adolescents
Programs and Services
- Outpatient diagnostic evaluations
- Individualized treatment involving psychotherapy, family therapy, group therapy and medication as indicated
- Psychological and Educational testing
- 50 Inpatient beds for evaluation and treatment (12 child beds and 16 adolescent beds used for training)
- Engel Day Treatment School providing integrated longer term education and treatment of children and adolescents
- Consultation Liaison services to the Children’s Hospital of Alabama and select services at UAB Hospital.
- Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) fully accredited residency in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry since 1995.
- Largest group of Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists in the state
- Provides the largest range of child and adolescent psychiatry services in Alabama
- Liaison relationships with regional school systems and Family Court
- ACGME fully accredited training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry since 1995
- Affiliation with The Children’s Hospital of Alabama, Jefferson County School System, the Family Court of Jefferson County
- Engel School provides a nationally unique longer term setting for the integration of educational and treatment needs of children and adolescents.
- Two year residency program with strong biopsychosocial focus, 8 residents total usually distributed 4 residents per year
- Diverse, large, multidisciplinary faculty
- All clinical experiences on site on one city block in the midst of the UAB Medical Center
- Outpatient Clinics at UAB and Children's of Alabama
- 12 Child inpatient beds
- 20 Adolescent inpatient beds
- Day Treatment (long term) Therapeutic School, Preschool through High School
- Consultation Liaison Services
- Strong affiliation with The Children’s Hospital of Alabama (on site)
- Strong affiliation with community schools and agencies and state agencies including The Family Court of Jefferson and the regional public school systems
University of Alabama at Birmingham Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Faculty
Lee I. Ascherman, M.D., MPH
Tolulope Aduroja, M.D., MPH
Irena Bukelis, M.D.
James Cullinan, DO
Vivian Friedman, Ph.D.
Clinton Martin, M.D.
Jesse Tobias Martinez, M.D.
Laurence McMillan, M.D.
Laura Montgomery-Barefield, M.D.
Janaki Nimmagadda, M.D.
Samuel Rubin, M.D.
Lelland Tolbert, Ph.D.
Marion Wallace, Ph.D.
Vinita Yalamanchili, M.D.
Yesie Yoon, M.D.
Kyle Echols, M.D.
Marisa Giggie, M.D.
Gonzalo Gurmendi, M.D.
Stephen Kowalski, M.D.
Artie Nelson, M.D.
Janice Sandy, M.D.
Elizabeth Trawick, M.D.