First Year Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Rotations
- The Children’s Hospital of Alabama Child Inpatient Unit (75% time for 4 months)
- The UAB Hospital Adolescent Inpatient Unit (75% time for 4 months)
- Consultation Liaison Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Service (65% time for 4 months)
- The Children’s Hospital of Alabama Pediatric Neurology Clinic (10% time for 4 months)
- UAB Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic (25% time for 12 months)
Residents develop outpatient psychotherapy services that they maintain through their two years of training. A medication clinic is also developed in the first year and continued through the second year. Supervised experiences with group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, psychodynamic therapy, and family therapy are provided.
Second Year Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Rotations
- Outpatient Extended Diagnostic Evaluation Clinic
- Continued outpatient psychotherapy and medication services
- School Consultation -Each resident is assigned to one public school where they serve as consultant for the full school year
- Family Court – Resident provides forensic evaluations to children and adolescents for the Jefferson County Family Court
- Preschool Day Treatment – All second year residents work with students in the UAB Preschool Day Treatment Program, following a preschool patient and family through the year
- Electives – Upon entering the second year, each resident designs an elective with a supervisor of their choosing. The focus may be clinical and/or research. Past elective areas of focus have been diverse and include autism, neuroimaging, movement disorders, infant psychiatry, genetics, psychotherapy, and homelessness among children.