Applicants can call 205-934-3041 and press option 1 to obtain a recorded message indicating our program requirements and/or refer to the following information.
1. Prerequisite requirements for PGY-I applicants include:
- Attainment of the M.D. or D.O. degree
- Must include an inpatient Internal Medicine clerkship (MS3) and inpatient Internal Medicine Acting (or Sub-Internship (MS4) prior to completion of medical school
- This is a requirement of the UAB Internal Medicine Residency Program on which all UAB PGY-1 psychiatry residents rotate as part of the medicine clinical experience
- Eligibility for limited Alabama Medical Licensure
- Participation in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
Foreign Medical Graduates
- A score of 192 on USMLE 1 & 2 and a passing score on Step 3 is also required.
- We accept H1B and J1 Visas
2. All applications must be submitted to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- For additional information, please contact ERAS directly.
- Deadline for applicant registration is November of each year.
3. Application materials will be reviewed by the director of residency training.
An invitation to interview will be sent by email if the applicant is felt to be an appropriate candidate. The interview will consist of individual meetings with members of the Psychiatry Education Committee (PEC), faculty, and the chief residents or their designated representatives.
Written evaluations of the candidate will be submitted to the director of residency training who will present the results to the PEC. If there is any question regarding the candidate’s credentials or past performance, further information from the candidate’s medical school or references will be solicited by phone or in writing.
Candidates will ultimately be ranked, if selected, through the NRMP. Our program participates in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) if there are unfilled positions after the match. Candidates who do not match during SOAP or who do not participate in the NRMP will be considered for acceptance only if there are open positions in the program after the SOAP ends.
PGY-II, III, & IV Positions
1. Prerequisite requirements for applications for positions at the PGY-II level and above include:
- Attainment of an M.D. or D.O. degree
- Successful completion of an acceptable PGY-I year
- Eligibility for Alabama Medical License
2. Prospective residents who meet the above requirements must submit the following:
- Completed application materials - NOTE: Applicants for PGY-II positions must participate in the NRMP. Mailed applications are not accepted.
- Written permission from applicant's current Program Director that the resident has authorization to contact our institution
- Review of competency-based evaluations from the transferring institution
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member supervising the applicant’s current year of clinical training or the last previous year of clinical training
- Verification of the previous educational experiences and a statement regarding the resident’s performance evaluation must be received prior to acceptance into the residency program.
The resident selection process will be followed as documented above, and relevant information may also be solicited from training directors of previous programs if the Program Education Committee (PEC) feels this is needed. Applicants for PGY-II positions must participate in the NRMP. Applicants for PGY-III positions and above are not required to participate in the NRMP, and positions will be offered to the applicants by consensus of the PEC or, in rare cases, by the Training Director.