Resident Application & Admission Requirements
You can call 205-934-3041 and press option 1 to obtain a recorded message indicating our program requirements and/or refer to the following information.
1. Prerequisite requirements for PGY-I applicants include:
- Attainment of the M.D. degree
- Eligibility for limited Alabama Medical Licensure
- Participation in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
Foreign Medical Graduates
- A score of 78 on USMLE 1 & 2 and a passing score on Step 3 is also required.
- We accept H1B and J1 Visas
2. All applications must be submitted to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- For additional information, please contact ERAS directly.
- Deadline for applicant registration is November of each year.
3. Application materials will be reviewed by the director of residency training.
An invitation to interview will be sent by email if the applicant is felt to be an appropriate candidate. The interview will consist of individual meetings with members of the Psychiatry Residency Training Committee (PRTC), faculty, and the chief residents or their designated representatives.
Written evaluations of the candidate will be submitted to the director of residency training who will present the results to the PRTC. If there is any question regarding the candidate’s credentials or past performance, further information from the candidate’s medical school or references will be solicited by phone or in writing.
Candidates will ultimately be ranked, if selected, through the NRMP. Students who do not match or who do not participate in the NRMP will be considered for acceptance only after the match results are announced.
PGY-II, III, & IV Positions
1. Prerequisite requirements for applications for positions at the PGY-II level and above include:
- Attainment of an M.D. degree
- Successful completion of an acceptable PG-I year
- Eligibility for Alabama Medical License
2. Prospective residents who meet the above requirements must submit the following:
- Completed application materials
- Written permission from the Program Director that the resident has authorization to contact our institution
- Review of competency-based evaluations from the transferring institution
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member supervising the applicant’s current year of clinical training or the last previous year of clinical training
- Verification of the previous educational experiences and a statement regarding the resident’s performance evaluation must be received prior to acceptance into the residency program.
The resident selection process will be followed as documented above, and relevant information may also be solicited from training directors of previous programs if the PRTC feels this is needed. Applicants for PGY-II positions and above are not required to participate in the NRMP, and positions will be offered to the applicants by consensus of the PRTC or in rare cases by the Director of residency training.