Title: Assistant Professor
Specialization: Psychologist – adult depression
Academic Appointments with UAB:
- Primary: Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology, UAB
Undergraduate: Temple University
Graduate School: Duke University
Internship: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
Postdoctoral Fellow: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
Licensure: Alabama (In progress)
Patient Populations: Adult depression
Clinical Interests: Depression and Early Life Trauma
Dr. Grant’s clinical specialization is adult patients with major depression.
Research Interests: Mood Disorders
Dr. Grant’s research is on causal and maintenance factors underlying depression. Work in my lab employs a translational approach to evaluate the relationship between stress (via sensitization mediated changes in pathways that underlie the stress response) and depression using multiple methods including, voxel-based morphometry, functional magnetic resonance imagery (fMRI), measures of peripheral physiology (e.g., skin conductance response), endocrine function, cognition and emotion.
People In The Lab:
- 07/05-07/10. Principal Investigator. MRI studies of cognitive control and stress in MDD (K01). Funded by: National Institute of Mental Health.
- 08/09-07/10. Principal Investigator. Vanderbilt University Medical Center Equipment Funding Grant. Funded by: Clinical Research Center/Clinical Translational Science Award.
- 09/01-09/03. Principal Investigator. Modification and upgrade of an MRI/MRS facility: A shared instrumentation grant for hardware and software. Funded by: University of Nebraska Biomedical Research Enhancement Fund.
- Grant M.M., Cannistraci C., Hollon S.D., Gore J., Shelton R. Childhood trauma history differentiates amygdala response to sad faces within MDD. J Psychiatry Res 45:886-895, 2011.
- Treadway M., Grant M.M., Ding Z., Hollon S.D., Gore J., & Shelton R.C. Early adverse events, HPA activity and anterior cingulate volume in MDD. PLoS ONE, 4:e4887, 2009. doi:10371.
- Grant M.M., Stringer E., Treadway M., Hollon S., Gore J. & Shelton R. Self-regulation of emotion: Modulation via coordinated dorso-rostral cingulate activity in MDD. Neuropsychopharmacology, 31:S198-S263, 2006.
- Riso L.P., du Toit P.L., Dacey S., Blandino J., Pena S., Duin J., Grant M.M. & Ulmer, C. Cognitive aspects of chronic depression. J Abnorm Psychol, 112:72-80, 2003.
- Grant M.M., Thase M.E. & Sweeney J.A. Cognitive disturbance in outpatient depressed younger adults: Evidence of modest impairment. Biol Psychiatry, 50:35-43, 2001.