About Geriatrics Psychiatry
1713 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294
Telephone: (205) 934-7008 or 1-800-782-1133
Programs and Services:
- The Division of Geriatric Psychiatry treats the full spectrum of psychiatric disorders in elderly patients.
- Inpatient and outpatient services are available through the Center for Psychiatric Medicine and departmental outpatient clinics.
- Inpatient services provide evaluation of acute illness in patients who can no longer be maintained independently at home or in a retirement facility.
- The outpatient clinic provides follow-up on previously seen inpatients and outpatients and for the initial evaluation of those who do not require immediate hospitalization.
- Neuropsychological testing is available. Evaluations include neuroimaging, electroencephalograms, OT assessments, mini-mental state examinations and SPECT/PET scans.
- The Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program provides training to assure competence in treatment of the elderly through a structured learning experience encompassing didactic, clinical and research activities.
- The UAB Division of Geriatric Psychiatry is the only comprehensive center in Alabama offering clinical care, education and training, and research in the psychiatric disorders of the elderly.
- Division faculty members include four psychiatrists and one neuropsychologist.
- All physicians in the division have been certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and all have added qualifications in geriatric psychiatry.