UAB Specialties Gain Ground on U.S. News Ranking
U.S. News & World Report on July 15 released its 2014-2015 Best Hospitals list, and UAB Hospital continues to rank No. 1 in both Alabama and Birmingham.
Looking more deeply, eight specialties at UAB ranked nationally, including five that improved their classification from high-performing in 2013 to nationally ranked in 2014, meaning they placed among the top 50 facilities.
Those specialties and their 2014 ranks are:
- Diabetes & Endocrinology – No. 39 (up from high-performing in 2013)
- Ear, Nose & Throat – No. 46 (up from high-performing in 2013)
- Gynecology – No. 20 (up from high-performing in 2013)
- Neurology & Neurosurgery – No. 30 (up from high-performing in 2013)
- Orthopedics - No. 31 (up from high-performing in 2013)
- Rheumatology – No. 11 (unchanged from 2013)
- Nephrology – No. 26 (up from No. 46 in 2013)
- Urology – No. 28 (up from No. 36 in 2013)
The following UAB specialties were classified as high-performing in 2013 and again for 2014:
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
U.S. News & World Report began publishing hospital rankings in 1990 to identify the best medical centers for the most difficult patients – those whose illnesses pose unusual challenges because of underlying conditions, procedure difficulty, or other medical issues. UAB has had programs ranked in the top hospital lists for over 20 years.
Details for all 2014-2015 Best Hospitals ranking can be accessed at health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.