Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Director: James K. Kirklin, M.D.
Welcome to the Web page for the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery at University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham.
A wide range of surgical procedures involving the heart and thoracic area are performed through the Division of Cardiovascular Surgery. It performs about 2,000 open heart procedures each year and has performed about 30,000 such operations since 1966.
UAB Cardiothoracic Surgery provides treatment for the complete range of cardiovascular and thoracic disorders.
- Cardiovascular Conditions:
- Acute and chronic diseases of the thoracic aorta
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Dissections
- Complex Congenital Heart Diseases (neonatal and adult)
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Diseases of the thoracic aorta
- End stage heart disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Thoracic Conditions:
- Lung cancer
- Diseases of the mediastinum pleura, chest wall and diaphragm
- Esophageal cancer
- Benign Esophageal diseases
- Thymic Cancer
- Myasthenia gravis
UAB provides a wide range of services to treat cardiovascular and thoracic conditions.
- Cardiovascular Services:
- Heart Transplantations and Lung Transplantations
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery offers patients state-of-the-art procedures not offered elsewhere in the region, including:
- Endovascular aortic graft placement
- Procedures to treat aneurysms of the descending aorta
- Stentless valvular procedures
- Procedures for Diseases of the Thoracic Aorta
- End-stage cardiac procedures including the use of Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices (including VADS)
- Complex cardiothoracic surgery for neonates, infants, children and adults, including surgery for those with complex congenital heart disease
- Surgical treatment of valvular heart diseases, including heart valve repair and replacement
- Thoracic Services:
- Complex Airway Reconstruction
- Hyperhidrosis Surgery
- Pulmonary resection for benign and malignant conditions
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)
- Robotic surgery: lymph node biopsy, lung resection (wedge, segmentectomy, lobectomy) and mediastinal mass resection
- Lung and esophageal cancer surgery