The Director of the General Surgery Residency Program is Dr. John R. Porterfield, Jr. The Residency Program Manager, Michelle Dunn, and the Residency Coordinator, Lynn Hough McFerrin, provides the administrative support for the General Surgery Residency Program.
There are seven categorical positions in the General Surgery Residency Program each year.
All applications are made through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) of National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- official medical school transcript
- official record of board scores (NBME, FLEX, USMLE)
- a dean's letter and three letters of recommendation from surgical & faculty members
- a personal statement
- curriculum vitae
International Medical Graduates
- A valid ECFMG certificate is required
- At least one year of postgraduate clinical experience in the United States
- Graduation from medical school within the past 5 years
- UAB sponsors the H-1B clinical Visa. UAB hosts IMG's with a J-1 Visa. All questions regarding Visas should be directed to the UAB International Office at 205-934-3328
Applications are accepted from September 1 to December 1. Applicants who are selected for interviews will be invited to visit The Medical Center to meet with faculty and residents. Interviews are scheduled from November through January each year. All applications and invitations to interview are made through ERAS. Deadline for completed applications is December 1.
Inquiries regarding the General Surgery Residency Program should be submitted to:
John R. Porterfield, Jr., M.D.
Department of Surgery
Attention: Residency Program Office
1922 7th Avenue South, 217 Kracke Building
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0016
Phone: (205) 934-9600