Anthony Thompson, Ph.D.
John Anthony Thompson, Ph.D.
Areas of Interest
Molecular Mechanisms of Angiogenesis
Molecular Mechanisms of Transplantation Biology
Selective Cell Transplantation
Reactive Oxygen/Nitrogen Species in Vascular Injury and Wound Repair
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC; A.B.; 1971; Chemistry/Zoology
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC; Ph.D.; 1977; Biochemistry
University of Louisville, Louisville, KY; Cont. Ed.; 1987; Microvascular Surgery
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
American Society for Cell Biology
American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Society of Transplantation
New York Academy of Sciences
American Chemical Society
American Association for the Advancement of Science
University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Student Research Society
Awards and Honors
|1965, 1968-1971||Blanchard Scholarship, Univ. of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)|
|1971||NSDL Scholarship, Univ. of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)|
|1971||National Honor Student Award, American Oil Chemists' Society|
|1984||David Coffin Award, New Product Innovation, Dexter Corporation|
- Contreras JL, Smyth CA, Eckstein C, Bilbao G, Thompson JA, Young CJ, Eckhoff D: Peripheral mobilization of recipient bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells enhances pancreatic islet revascularization and engraftment after intraportal transplantation. Surgery 134:390-398 (2003).
- Bagnasco P, MacMillan-Crow LA, Greendorfer JS, Young CJ, Andrews L, Thompson JA: Peroxynitrite modulates acidic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-1) activity. Arch Biochem Biophys 419: 178-189 (2003).
- Contreras JL, Eckstein C, Smyth CA, Sellers MT, Vilatoba M, Bilbao G, Rahemtulla FG, Young CJ, Thompson JA, Chaudry IH, Eckhoff DE: Brain-death significantly reduces isolated pancreatic islet fields and functionality in vitro and in vivo after transplantation in rats. Diabetes 52:2935-2942 (2003).
- Contreras JL, Eckstein C, Smyth CA, Bilbao G, Vilatoba M, Young CJ, Thompson JA, Fernandez J, Griffith JH, Eckhoff DE. Activated protein C preserves islet mass after intraportal transplantation: A novel link between endothelial cell activation, thrombosis, inflammation, and islet cell death. Diabetes 53: 2804-2814 (2004).
- Zhang P, Greendorfer JS, Jiao J, Kelpke S, Thompson JA: Alternatively spliced FGFR-1 isoforms differentially modulate endothelial cell activation of c-YES. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 450: 50-62 (2006).