Dr. William R. Carroll
George W Barber, Jr. Professor of Surgery
Director, Section Head and Neck Oncology
Phone: 205-934-9767 Fax: 205-934-3993
205-934-9767 | firstname.lastname@example.org
563 Boshell Building
1808 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0012
The Kirklin Clinic
2000 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35249
American Board of Otolaryngology, 1990
American Board of Facial, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1993
Areas of Interest
Head and neck oncology
Transoral robotic assisted surgery (TORS)
Clinical trials in head and neck oncology
Medical College of Georgia, 1980-1984
University of Michigan, Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, 1990
Awards & Honors
1979 Phi Kappa Phi, Summa Cum Laude, Auburn University
1983 Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical College of Georgia
1988 Bronze Beeper Teaching Award, University of Michigan
1990 Senior Resident Research Award, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Michigan
1999 Outstanding Lecturer Award in the UAB Division of Otolaryngology, 1999
2004 Honor Award American Academy of Otolaryngology
2011 Faculty Member of the Year - From the Residents, UAB Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
2012 Birmingham Magazine Best Docs
1. Locher JL, Robinson CO, Bailey A, Carroll WR, Heimburger D, Magnuson S, Saif MS, Ritchie CS. The Contribution of Social Factors to Undereating in Older Adults with Cancer. Journal of Supportive Onocology 2009 September;7(5):168-73.
2. Iseli TA, Iseli CE, Rosenthal EL, Caudell JJ, Spencer SA, Magnuson JS, Smith AN, Carroll WR. Postoperative Reirradiation for Mucosal Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009 November; 135(11): 1158-1164.
3. Locher JL, Robinson CO, Bailey FM, Carroll WR, Heimburger DC, Saif MW, Tajeu G, Ritchie CS. Disruptions in the Organization of Meal Preparation and Consumption Among Older Cancer Patients and Their Family Caregivers. Psychoonocology 2009 November, [Epub ahead of print]
4. Carroll WR, Kohler CL, Carter VL, Hannon L, Skipper JB, Rosenthal EL. Barriers to Early Detection and Treatment of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma in African American Men. Head and Neck 2009 December; 31(12): 1557-62.
5. Bohannon IA, Desmond RA, Clemons L, Magnuson JS, Carroll WR, Rosenthal EL. Management of the N0 Neck in Recurrent Laryngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. The Laryngoscope 2010 January;120(1):58-61.
6. Kostrzewa JP, Lancaster WP, Iseli TA, Desmond RA, Carroll WR, Rosenthal EL Outcomes of Salvage Surgery with Free Flap Reconstruction for Recurrent Oral and Oropharyngeal Cancer. The Laryngoscope 2010 February ;120(2):267-72.
7. Virgin FW, Iseli TA, Iseli CE, Sunde J, Carroll WR, Magnuson JS, Rosenthal EL, Functional Outcomes of Fibula and Osteocutaneous Forearm Free Flap Reconstruction for Segmental Mandibular Defects. The Laryngoscope 2010 April;120(4):663-7.
8. Dean NR, Rosenthal EL, Carroll WR, Kostrzewa JP, Jones VL, Desmond RA, Clemons L, Magnuson JS. Robotic-Assisted Surgery for Primary or Recurrent Oropharyngeal Carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010 April; 136(4): 380-384.
9. Dean NR, White HN, Carter DS, Desmond RA, Carroll WR, McGrew BM, Rosenthal EL. Outcomes Following Temporal Bone Resection. Laryngoscope 2010 August;120(8):1516-22.
10. Dean NR, Knowles JA, Helman EE, Aldridge JC, Carroll WR, Magnuson JS, Clemons L, Ziober B, Rosenthal EL. Anti-EMMPRIN Antibody Treatment of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma in an Ex-Vivo Model. Anticancer Drugs 2010 August 7 [Epub ahead of print]