Dr. Benjamin M. McGrew
Associate Professor of Surgery
Division Medical Director
Phone: 205-934-9766 Fax: 205-934-3993
Dr. McGrew specializes in a wide variety of otologic and neurotologic surgery including cochlear implantation, surgery for chronic infection of the ear, surgery for hearing restoration, acoustic neuroma surgery and lateral skull base surgery.
Since fellowship training, Dr. McGrew's practice has been focused on Otology and Neurotology exclusively. Dr. McGrew came to UAB in 2002 primarily for the purpose of expanding an already strong tradition of ear surgery at UAB. This purpose has been realized with the expansion of the lateral skull base surgery program, the introduction of auditory brainstem implants to Alabama, and the coming introduction of the completely implantable hearing aid later this year.
Because of improved patient outcomes through a strong team approach to complex skull base lesions, the skull base program has rapidly expanded over the last nine years. This skull base program has been complimented with a successful auditory brainstem implant program developed by Drs. McGrew and Dr. Winfield Fisher for the purpose of hearing restoration in patients with neurofibromatosis type II. In 2007, Drs. McGrew and Dr. Fisher (Neurosurgery), along with Dr. William Hitselberger. performed the first auditory brainstem implant in Alabama.
American Board of Otolaryngology, 1999
American Board of Otolaryngology - Neurotology Sub Specialty, 2010
Areas of Interest
Lateral skull base tumors
Chronic ear disease
Implantable hearing devices
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 1989-1993
General Surgery, West Virginia University, 1994-1995
Otolaryngology, West Virginia University, 1994-1998
The Otology Group, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1999-2000
Awards & Honors
1989 Barton Scholar University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
1996 Sobisca S. Hall Award, West Virginia Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
2004 Faculty Member of the year by Residents, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of Otolaryngology
2007 Placed first Auditory Brainstem Implant in the State of Alabama in conjunction with Dr. Winfield Fisher
1. Dean, NR, White HN, Carter DS, Desmond RA, Carroll WR, McGrew BM, Rosenthal EL.: Outcomes Following Temporal Bone Resection, Laryngoscope, 2010 Aug, 120(8):p. 1516-22, PMID 20641083.
2. Rosenthal EL, King T, McGrew BM, Carroll WR, Magnuson JS, Wax MK; Evaluation of Paradign for Free Tissue Transfer Reconstruction of Lateral Temporal Bone Defects, Head Neck, 2008 May: 30 (5): 589-94.
3. McGrew BM, Jackson CG, Glasscock III ME: Impact of Mastoidectomy on Simple Tympanic Membrane Perforation Repair, Laryngoscope, 2004 March, 114:506-511.
4. Battaglia A, McGrew BM, Jackson CG: Reconstruction of the Entire Ossicular Conduction Mechanism: Laryngoscope, 2003 April, 113:653-658.
5. Jackson CG, McGrew BM, Forest JA, Netterville JL, Hampf MD, Glasscock III ME: Lateral Skull Base Surgery for Glomus Tumors: Long Term Control, Otology & Neurotology, 2003 September; 22(3):377-82.