UAB MPAD has comprehesive capabilities for full cycle solution from concept to prototype for lightweight cost-effective advanced material solutions. MPAD composites operates on a industry friendly model and projects are structured for time and cost-effective delivery of solutions. MPAD has core competencies in the design and modeling, materials selection, processing and manufacture, tooling, testing and evaluation, applications development of advanced composites and engineered plastics leading to commercial products in a wide range of sectors. There are several ways that industry, government and academic partners can work with the MPAD:
Specific to industry the interaction steps with MPAD involve (in general terms):
1) Mutual non-disclosure agreement (NDA or CDA) is signed between partner and MPAD (if needed)
2) A scope of work is identified through initial discussions, visits, communication and correspondence
3) Depending upon the scope of work, an approximate cost estimate is provided to the customer. The time-sensitivity and nature of costing is friendly to industry practices to ensure rapid turn-around time.
4) Projects can be negotiated as (a) fee for service for small projects; (b) standard R&D contracts; (c) multi-year R&D contracts; or (d) grants and consigned equipment.
5) The project is conducted interactively through discussion with the customer to ensure accuracy and satisfaction.
6) Interim and final project reports are provided to include the experimental, modeling, calculations, micrographs, raw data and any other relevant details as requested by the customer.
MPAD has typically had 20 NDAs on an average with a range of industry partners.
Please contact us for additional information.
MPAD also offers a series of professional development short and full courses, workshops, and CEU credits for the industry. Click here for example of course contents. The contents can be tailored for specific industry needs.