University of Alabama at Birmingham has named Thomas Brannan vice president for Development and Alumni Affairs — effective Jan. 1, 2017 — following a national search led by a committee of 17 members representing UAB students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as community leaders and supporters.The
Brannan, who served as interim vice president in the role throughout the search, joined UAB in 2007 as the director of Development, Strategic Planning and Community Relations in the Department of Neurology, following stints in development at Middle Tennessee State University and Auburn University. Brannan was named executive director for Development and Strategic Planning in the School of Medicine in 2010, and in 2012 was named associate vice president for Development after an interim year in that position.
“It has been a privilege to work with our alumni and donors to support UAB and our students, faculty, staff and patients,” Brannan said, “and I look forward to leading a very talented and dedicated team in Development and Alumni Affairs. Across campus, UAB is a special place that changes lives and makes a positive difference every day, and I welcome the responsibility of advancing our vital mission.”
As vice president, Brannan will provide executive leadership and administration of all philanthropic development and alumni-related programs for UAB and the UAB Health System, with duties encompassing prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation, donor relations, donor communications, corporate and foundation relations, grateful patient fundraising, planned giving, special events, and coordination of annual giving efforts for multiple schools and medical units. He will continue to lead and direct the completion of The Campaign for UAB, a $1 billion comprehensive fundraising initiative — the most aggressive in the institution’s history that has already raised more than $756 million.
As the executive leading Alumni Affairs, Brannan will oversee and orchestrate nationwide and international membership development, fundraising initiatives, alumni services to the institution, and program support to the UAB National Alumni Society and the Medical Alumni Association.
UAB President Ray L. Watts commends the search committee for a job well-done and says Brannan and UAB have great opportunities ahead.
“I would like to recognize the search committee for facilitating this search with patience and a commitment to identifying candidates worthy of a top-tier comprehensive research university,” Watts said. “Tom is a proven, effective and results-driven executive who has demonstrated a talent for leading people, as well as working with stakeholders and supporters to create and build on momentum. He is the right leader to capitalize on the unprecedented opportunities in front of us.”
Vice President for Student Affairs John Jones chaired the search committee.
“Our committee thoughtfully reviewed a number of quality candidates,” Jones said. “We had productive discussions over many months that led to three impressive finalists. Tom demonstrated both a track record and a vision that inspired great confidence, and he scored very well with committee members. I am certain he will do a terrific job and look forward to working with him.”
Members of the search committee were:
- Vice President for Student Affairs John Jones, Ph.D., Committee Chair
- Senior Vice Provost Suzanne Austin, Ph.D.
- Associate Vice President Development Rebecca Gordon
- Student Representative Isabelle (Izzy) Hogan
- Senior Development Director Jeannie Horton
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics Jeanne Hutchison, Ph.D.
- Collat School of Business Dean Eric Jack, Ph.D.
- Chief Human Resources Officer Alesia Jones
- Alys Stephens Center Advisory Board Chair and retired American Nutraceutical CEO Allen Montgomery
- Community Representative Kate Nielsen
- O’Neal Industries, Inc., Chairman H. Craft O’Neal
- Highland Associates, Inc., Chairman Charles D. Perry Jr.
- UAB Medicine Senior Vice President for Strategy and Business Development David Randall
- School of Dentistry Dean Michael Reddy, DMD
- UAB National Alumni Society President Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D.
- Alys Stephens Center Executive Director Anna Thompson
- Executive Director of Development Jackie Wood