50 Ways YOU can support the UAB SON
1. Keep your contact information up-to-date by filling out a stay connected form.
2. Make a gift to the School of Nursing Annual Fund – this year and annually.
3. Join the Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society. Your annual membership entitles you to great benefits, and a percentage helps fund the nursing chapter’s activities and programs.
4. Encourage a talented, motivated student to consider the UAB School of Nursing.
5. Accompany prospective student on a visit to the school; to schedule, contact the Office of Student Affairs.
6. Join the UAB School of Nursing facebook page.
7. Reconnect with your nursing school roommate. Need help to reconnect? Contact us.
8. Check out the UAB School of Nursing website for current school news.
9. Cheer on the UAB Blazers at a game in your area. View a schedule.
10. Include the School of Nursing in your will or estate plan.
11. Share your ideas, praises, and concerns when you see UAB faculty and staff.
12. Help UAB connect with individuals, corporations, and foundations capable of providing financial support.
13. Attend the annual Dr. Jean A. Kelley Endowed Lecture.
14. If you live in Alabama, purchase a UAB Blazer license tag for your car.
15. At the beginning of each semester come to the Lamp of Learning Ceremony, welcoming new nursing students into the nursing program.
16. Be a mentor to parents in your area whose son(s) or daughter(s) are new students at the School of Nursing.
17. Attend an alumni gathering event in your area, and take a fellow graduate with you.
18. Clip news paper articles and obituaries about nursing graduates and send them to the School of Nursing Development and Alumni Office.
19. Wear your School of Nursing pin proudly.
20. Help organize your class or program–level reunion.
21. Talk to high school students in your area who would be a good fit for nursing and for UAB.
23. Send “Class Notes and News” for the annual UAB Nursing Magazine.
24. Nominate a graduate for the Distinguished Alumni Award or the Jo Ann Barnett Award for Compassionate Nursing Care.
25. Help the School find ‘lost’ graduates. We are especially interested in connecting with diploma graduates of the Hillman, Jefferson-Hillman and University Hospital Schools of Nursing, as our records on many of those graduates are not complete.
26. Display your UAB Nursing Magazine in your home or office.
27. Join the Center for Nursing Research (CNR) for seminars held throughout the year.
28. Become a class representative for your class.
29. Make a gift to the School of Nursing in honor or in memory of someone special to you.
30. If you are 59 or better, consider a Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA), which pays you a lifetime at a higher rate of return than most investments these days. Upon your death, your CGA establishes a scholarship or other endowed fund of your choice at the School of Nursing.
31. Assist an early graduate who wants to visit the campus but cannot drive.
32. Pass along School of Nursing admissions materials to teachers, guidance counselors, and students in your hometown.
33. Shop for gifts in the UAB bookstore for friends and yourself.
34. Display your School of Nursing diploma in your home or office.
35. Share insight on your career with students in the BSN, Master’s or Doctoral programs.
36. Put a School of Nursing decal on your car.
37. Recruit five new School of Nursing Annual Fund donors. Share why you give and the importance of educating future nurse leaders.
38. Host an Alumni Gathering for alumni and friends of the SON that live in your area at your home or other private venue.
39. Support students with a financial gift to the School of Nursing via personal check, stock transfer, life insurance policy, or monthly bank draft.
40. Enjoy a conversation with UAB students who call during our Phonathons.
41. E-mail your favorite School of Nursing faculty and staff.
42. Read your annual UAB Nursing magazine.
43. After you’ve finished with your UAB Nursing magazine, pass it along to a friend.
44. You or your class can sponsor a Florence Nightingale letter for the School’s Restoration Project.
45. Check to see if your employer has a Matching Gifts Program. It is an easy way to double your gift to the School of Nursing.
46. Do business with UAB graduates whenever you can.
47. Hire School of Nursing graduates.
48. Plan a family outing to a UAB Blazer football or basketball game, or other athletic event.
49. Contribute photos and other memorabilia from your nursing school days to our School of Nursing archives.
50. Be proud to be a School of Nursing graduate.
Feel free to contact us for more information at (205) 975-9419 or email@example.com