Jo Ann Barnett, a BSN and MSN graduate of the UAB School of Nursing, was a champion for the highest quality of compassionate care for her patients and their families. Not only did she have excellent clinical care skills, but she truly went above and beyond to care for her patients, often staying in touch and assisting her patients financially after they were discharged from their hospital stay. Unfortunately, in 2002, Jo Ann had an untimely death due to cancer. The Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society has established an award to honor her service to her patients, community, and alma mater. Her legacy lives on through the lives she touched and through this award that recognizes deserving nurses.
- Nominees must be graduates of the UAB School of Nursing (chartered as the University of Alabama School of Nursing), or graduates of the diploma nursing programs (Hillman, Jefferson, Jefferson-Hillman, and University Hospitals) affiliated with UAB.
- Alumni must represent the spirit of Jo Ann Barnett, exemplifying the best in nursing care by performing above and beyond job requirements on a regular basis.
Process: To nominate a special nurse for this award, please submit all of the following information by Tuesday, July 31 to email@example.com.
- Nominee’s updated curriculum vitae or resume
- Three letters of support addressing why the nominee is deserving of this award. Specific examples and stories are appreciated and encouraged
- 4x6 photograph of the nominee
Who Should Nominate: Nominations are welcome from anyone who has been inspired or touched by one of our alumni—a fellow nurse, grateful patient, family member, peer, student, or physician.
Recognition: Recipients and all nominees will be honored and recognized at the UAB School of Nursing Alumni Night and Awards Dinner scheduled for Friday, October 19th, as part of the School’s Alumni Weekend. Recipients will also be featured in an upcoming UAB Nursing magazine and other school media.
Questions? Contact Laura Hornsby Lesley, Director of Alumni Affairs and Annual Fund at (205) 975-9419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Martin Maloney, RN, BSN ('86)
Nurse Manager, UAB Hospital CICU
Debra P. Goswick, MSHA, BSN ('12), RN
Administrative Director of Nursing, St. Vincent's East
2011 Carol Linn (Acute/Chronic Care), Ellen Carmichael (Administration), and Debra Stewart (Education)
2010 Deborah Laney (Acute/Chronic Care), Debra Regan (Administration), and Laura Young (Education)
2009 Margot Andison (Acute/Chronic Care), Syble High (Administration), William D. Ahrens (Education)
2008 Adelia “Dee” Grant
2007 Esther Moring
2005 Teresa Hardy and Nancy McGreevy
2004 Madeline Harris