Alumni Night 2013
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Nursing, along with the Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society and the UAB School of Nursing Board of Visitors, recently hosted the 11th annual Alumni Night Dinner and Awards Ceremony.
Carol Z. Garrison, Ph.D., UAB President Emerita was honored as the 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient. She gave a presentation on leadership, her tenure as UAB President, and her passion for nursing.
The Marie L. O’Koren Alumni Award for Innovation is named for the UAB School of Nursing’s second dean, Marie L. O’Koren, who passed away in 2012. During her tenure as dean, O’Koren led the UAB School of Nursing to become one of the top 20 nursing schools in the country and established a diversified master’s program and the first doctorate in nursing program in the Southeast. The award recognizes alumni who, like O’Koren, have made innovative contributions to the field of nursing.The recipients included:
· Teresa Gore, D.N.P., C.R.N.P., C.H.S.E., of Auburn, Ala.
· Ashley L. Hodges, Ph.D., WHNP-BC, of Birmingham
· Michael Humber, D.N.P., M.N.A., CRNA of Birmingham
· Carolyn Pierce, D.S.N., R.N., of Binghamton, N.Y.
· Lynn Stover, D.S.N., R.N., BC, SANE, of Morrow, Ga.
The Jo Ann Barnett Award for Compassionate Care honors UAB School of Nursing graduates who exemplify the best in nursing care by performing above and beyond job requirements on a regular basis. The award is named for Jo Ann Barnett, a B.S.N. and M.S.N. graduate of the UAB School of Nursing who was a champion for the highest quality of compassionate care for her patients and their families. She passed away in 2002. The recipients included:
· Joan Burttram Carlisle, D.S.N., PNP-BC, of Birmingham
· Paula Midyette, M.S.N., R.N., CCRN, CCNS, of Birmingham
· Linda F. Rose, Ed.D., RN-BC of Birmingham.
The Young Alumni Merit Award recognizes young nurse leaders who have received a degree from the UAB School of Nursing within the last 10 years and have demonstrated significant accomplishment and leadership in the field of nursing. The recipients included:
· Nisha Cheesman, B.S.N., R.N., of Birmingham
· Lindsey Harris, CRNP, of Fultondale, Ala.
· Ramona Roach-Davis, D.N.P., CRNP, of Hoover, Ala.