Alexandrov, Anne W.
Professor and Assistant Dean for Program Evaluation
1720 2nd Ave. S. Birmingham, AL 35294-1210
PhD Texas Women’s University MSN University of Texas BSN University of Texas
Anne W. Alexandrov, PhD, RN, CCRN, ANVP-BC, FAAN is a nurse physiologist who focuses her research on integrated systemic and intracranial hemodynamics. Her physiologic research is in the area of blood flow augmentation in hyperacute stroke, innovatively using devices such as intra-aortic balloon pumps and external counterpulsation, gravitational techniques, and manipulation of oxygenation/ventilation. She is currently funded by an NIH NINDS – SPOTRIAS award to study the use of external counterpulsation in acute ischemic stroke patients that are not candidates for reperfusion therapy. Dr. Alexandrov also explores methods to support improved Stroke Center performance, including improvement in the delivery of reperfusion therapies such as intravenous tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and intra-arterial rescue procedures. Dr. Alexandrov was funded by the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) from 2007-2010 for the development and implementation of the NET SMART – AP (Neurovascular Education and Training in Stroke Management and Acute Reperfusion Therapies – Advanced Practice) program, the world’s first vascular neurology fellowship education/clinical training program for Advanced Practice Nurses in the world. NET SMART-AP has demonstrated an 8.3% absolute increase in tPA administration at the Stroke Centers supported by its Fellows and Graduates; this is the most robust effect ever achieved from an intervention targeting improvement in tPA treatment rates, documenting the value of advanced practice neurovascular nurses. Dr. Alexandrov was recently funded for the second time by HRSA to develop and implement the NET SMART – Junior Program. Similar to the NET SMART – AP Program, Junior also targets improvement in tPA treatment rates, but focuses its education and clinical development on expert front-line staff nurses capable of identifying patients that are likely reperfusion therapy candidates. As an expert cardiovascular acute care nurse, Dr. Alexandrov has interest in topics that relate to Emergency and/or Critical Care, as well as the pre-hospital EMS systems that support rapid access to care. She is a member of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Neurologic Device Panel (2012-2015), a member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Neurovascular Clinicians (ANVC), and certification exam architect for the ANVC acute neurovascular general and advanced practice certification examinations.
Alexandrov, A.W., Baca, T., DiBiase, S. & Alexandrov, A.V. NET SMART-AP Fellowship Program Outcomes
Alexandrov, A.W., Baca, T., DiBiase, S., Walker, A. & Alexandrov, A.V. NET SMART-Junior Program Outcomes
Alexandrov, A.W. & Alexandrov, A.V. Heads Down II
Alexandrov, A.W., Brewer, B.B., Wojner, A.J. & Alexandrov, A.V. Psychometric Study and Subject Findings from the STROKE Perception Report
Alexandrov, A.W. & Alexandrov, A.V. Perfusion augmentation Using Mechanical counter-Pulsation (PUMP) in TIA and Acute Stroke
Alexandrov, A.V. & Alexandrov, A.W. “Reversed Robin Hood Syndrome” Related to Hypoventilation in Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Alexandrov AV, Schellinger PD, Saqqur M, Barreto A, Demchuk AM, Ribo M, Rubiera M, Sharma VK, Heliopoulos I, Alexandrov AW, Molina CA, Tsivgoulis G; CLOTBUST and TUCSON Investigators. Reperfusion and outcomes in Penumbra versus systemic tissue plasminogen activator in clinical trials. International Journal of Stroke. 2011;6(2):118-22.
- Zhao, L., Barlinn, K., Bag, A.K., Kesani, M., Cava, L.F., Balucani, C., Alexandrov, A.W., Horton, J.A., Patterson, D.E., Harrigan, M.R., Albright, K.C., Alexandrov, A.V. Computed tomography perfusion prognostic maps do not predict reversible and irreversible neurological dysfunction following reperfusion therapies. International Journal of Stroke. 2011;6(6):544-546.
- Shulkin, D.J., Jewell, K.E., Alexandrov, A.W., Bernard, D.B., Brophy, G.M. Hess, D.C., Kohlbrenner, J., Martin-Schild, S., Mayer, S.A., Peacock, W.F., Quereshi, A.I., Sung, G.Y. & Lyles, A. Impact of Systems of Care and Blood Pressure Management on Stroke Outcomes. Population Health Management. April 20, 2011; epub ahead of print.
- Tsivgoulis, G., Zhang, Y., Alexandrov, A.W., Harrigan, M.R., Sisson, A., Zhao. L. Brethour, M., Cava, L., Balucani, C., Barlinn, K., Patterson, D.E., Giannopoulos, S., DeWolfe, J., Alexandrov, A.V. Safety and tolerability of early noninvasive ventilatory correction using bilevel positive airway pressure in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2011;42(4):118-122.
- Tsivgoulis, G., Alexandrov, A.V., Chang, J., Sharma, V.K., Hoover, S.L., Lao, A.Y., Liu, W., Stamboulis, E., Alexandrov, A.W., Malkoff, M.D. & Frey, J.L. Safety and outcomes of intravenous thrombolysis in stroke mimics: A 6-year, single-care center study and a pooled analysis of reported series. Stroke. 2011;42(6):1771-4.
- Wojner-Alexandrov, A.W., Knowlton, D., Burnett, S., Fields, L., Gizzi, M., Hanna, J., Likosky, D., Loudis, P., Mensh, S., Mitslas, P., Ovbiagele, B., Palestrant, D., Roth, E., Swegler, E., Uchino, K., Van de Camp, M., Wagner, M., Burstin, H., Hines, L., Winkler, R. & McElveen, N. (2010). National voluntary consensus standards for stroke prevention and management across the continuum of care: A consensus report. Washington, D.C.: National Quality Forum.
- Alexandrov, A.V., Tsivgoulis, G., Rubiera, M., Vadikolias, K., Stamboulis, E., Molina, C.A., Alexandrov, A.W., for the TUCSON Investigators. End-diastolic velocity increase predicts recanalization and neurologic improvement in patients with ischemic stroke with proximal arterial occlusions receiving reperfusion therapies. Stroke. 2010;41:online ahead of print.
- Alexandrov, A.W. 2009. Hyperacute ischemic stroke: Reperfusion and evolving therapies. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America. 21(4):451-470.
- Alexandrov, A.W., Brethour, M., Cudlip, F, Swatzell, V., Biby, S., Reiner, D., Kiernan, T-E, Handler, D., Tocco, S. & Yang, J. (2009). Post-graduate fellowship education and training for nurses: The NET SMART experience. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America. 21(4):435-449.
- Tsivgoulis G, Frey JL, Flaster M, Sharma VK, Lao AY, Hoover SL, Liu W, Stamboulis E, Alexandrov AW, Malkoff MD, Alexandrov AV. Pretissue plasminogen activator blood pressure levels and risk of symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2009;40(11):3631-3634.
- Alexandrov AV, Nguyen HT, Rubiera M, Alexandrov AW, Zhao L, Heliopoulos I, Robinson A, Dewolfe J, Tsivgoulis G. Prevalence and risk factors associated with reversed Robin Hood syndrome in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2009;40(8):2738-2742.
- Alexandrov, A.W., Garami, Z., Ribo, M., Sugg, R., Wong, K.S. Montgomery, B., Jesurum, J.T. & Alexandrov, A.V. Perfusion Augmentation in Acute Stroke Using Mechanical Counter-Pulsation (PUMP) – Phase IIa Study: Effect of External Counterpulsation (ECP) on Middle Cerebral Artery Mean Flow Velocity in Normal Controls. Stroke. 2008;39:2760-2764.
- Alexandrov, A.W. Methodologic challenges in the design and conduct of hyperacute stroke research. AACN Clinical Issues. 2008:19(2):186-201.
- Sharma, V.K., Tsivgoulis, G., Lao, A.Y., Malkoff, M.D., Alexandrov, A.W. & Alexandrov, A.V. Quantification of microspheres (µS) appearance in brain vessels: implications for residual flow velocity measurements, dose calculations and potential drug delivery. Stroke 2008;39:1476-1481.
- Han, J., Leung, T.W., Lam, W.W., Soo, Y.O., Alexandrov, A.W., Mok, V., Lo, R. & Wong, K.S. Preliminary findings of external counterpulsation for ischemic stroke patients with large artery occlusive disease. Stroke. 2008;39(4):1340-1343.
2011-Life Honorary Ambassador, World Federation of Critical Care Nursing (WFCCN)
2010 Birmingham Metro Nurse of the Year Award 2004 Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing
2003 Stroke Manuscript of the Year Award, American Heart-American Stroke Association
2003 Distinguished Service Award, American Heart-American Stroke Association
2002 Stroke Volunteer of the Year Award, American Heart-American Stroke Association
2002 Book of the Year Award, American Journal of Nursing
2000 Life Time Membership Award, American Association of Critical-Care Nursing