|Prospective International students are asked to first contact International Recruitment and Student Services at Email:email@example.com Phone: (205) 934-3328 Fax: (205) 934-8664 to determine eligibility in order to submit an application into any academic program listed below.
* See details on the items listed in the table below.
If you are seeking a fellowship or visiting scholar experience, exemptions to the above steps may apply. Please feel free to contact the School of Nursing, Office of Student Affairs at (205) 975-7529 if you need additional assistance.
NOTE: The University of Alabama at Birmingham Admissions process has additional information for International Students at:
F1 or J1 Visa (Student Visa) Acceptable
For Graduate Programs (MSN) - requires a bachelor’s degree in nursing that is equivalent to a regionally accredited educational institution in the United States.
For Graduate Programs (DNP or PhD) - a master’s degree in nursing that is equivalent to a regionally accredited educational institution in the United States.
Foreign Transcripts Evaluated
A) Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Phone Number: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411
B) World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Phone Number: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
2. The course work must be articulated into the university. This step requires syllabi and course outlines for each course in order to determine the course equivalency. These documents must be submitted in English.
1. Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL
Score of 500 or higher on the written examination
2. International English Language Testing System, IELTS
Score of 5.5 overall bandwidth with no less than 5.0 on any module
*All scores must be sent directly to UAB from the testing agency
U.S. RN License
* Foreign students accepted for admission to the School of Nursing are required to be licensed to practice nursing in the State of Alabama.
* Graduates of foreign nursing schools seeking a non-immigrant occupational preference visa (H-1) are required to pass the Commission on Graduate of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Qualifying Examination.
* PhD Students are not required to have a U.S. License but must meet eligibility for license
Foreign students accepted for admission to the School of Nursing are required to be licensed to practice nursing in the State of Alabama. Graduates of foreign nursing schools seeking a non-immigrant occupational preference visa (H-1) are required to pass the Commission on Graduate of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Qualifying Examination. Examination applications and guidebooks for applicants are available from:
3600 Market Street- Suite 400
Applications and guidebooks are also available from U.S. Embassies and National Nurses' Association in foreign countries. A foreign student, who has passed the CGFNS Qualifying Examination, should contact the Alabama Board of Nursing to obtain information on the examination for licensure in the State of Alabama. You may contact the Alabama Board of Nursing at:
They will send you the appropriate information.