BSN Early Entry Option for Advanced Placement StudentsThe BSN Early Entry Option for Advanced Placement Students is designed for students who enter UAB with more than 15 credit hours of college credit awarded during their high school career, either through completion of advanced placement courses or through dual enrollment. Students who qualify may apply to enter the BSN program a semester earlier than is typical and complete the BSN degree in three and a half years. Application is limited to students who meet the criteria and have been selected as a Dean’s Nursing Scholar.
SelectionThe composite ACT or SAT score, the applicant's high school academic grade point average (computed on subjects required for undergraduate admission to UAB), number and scores on AP and DE courses and all additional application material will be used in the process of selecting the UAB Dean's Nursing Scholars for the BSN Early Entry Option.
CriteriaApplicants must have been awarded a minimum of 15 credit hours of college credit and meet all the requirements for the Dean’s Nursing Scholars program that include:
- Applicant is a high school senior;
- Achieved a composite ACT score of 24 or above or a composite SAT score of 1090 or above;
- Possess a minimum high school grade point average of 3.2;
- Be admitted to UAB through the UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions;
- Enroll at UAB directly from high school.
Application ProcessBy the posted deadlines, all applicants must:
- Complete the admission application through the UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions;
- Complete the BSN Early Entry Option Application;
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a high school administrator, counselor or teacher describing your suitability for a career in nursing;
- Write a one-page essay on your selection of nursing as a career and your future professional goals;
- Submit an official high school transcript;
- Submit official ACT or SAT scores.
*Students with an ACT of 28 or higher should select the School of Nursing-Dean’s Nursing Scholar Option as part of your admission’s offer. All application materials are reviewed in the process of selection of students for the BSN Fast Track Option.
UAB School of Nursing Honors ProgramThe UAB School of Nursing Honors Program provides unique experiential learning opportunities in research where students are introduced to basic research concepts and provided the opportunity to complete defined research activities as part of a faculty research team. Students will have the opportunity to explore the role and career path of a nurse scientist. All undergraduate nursing students are eligible to apply for admission to the Nursing Honors Program, including BSN and RN-BSN Mobility students.
EligibilityStudents must meet the following criteria to be considered for acceptance into the Nursing Honors Program:
- A minimum 3.40 GPA in BSN Foundation courses
- A minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA for courses completed at UAB and at other Universities
ApplicationStudents To apply for admission to the UAB School of Nursing Honors Program, interested students must:
- Complete and submit the Honors Program Application Form
- Write a one-page essay on how the Honors Program will contribute to the achievement of your future professional goals
- Complete an interview with an Honors Program Selection Committee
All application materials are reviewed in the process of selection of Nursing Honors Program participants.
RequirementsHonors Program participants must:
- Maintain a minimum overall UAB GPA of 3.00, and a minimum 3.25 GPA in completed nursing coursework
- Complete the required six credit hours of Nursing Honors Program Courses (NUR 450, NUR 451, and NUR 452)
Students who successfully complete the Nursing Honors Program will receive a certificate of acknowledgement at the UAB Honors Convocation and will graduate “With Honors in Nursing.” Students who participate in both the UAB Honors Program and the School of Nursing Honors program will graduate “With University Honors in Nursing.”
For More Information:
- We acknowledge the Endowed Fund that provides support to the Nursing Honors Program that was established by Celia A. Wallace on February 4, 2005 to honor Kristen Celia and Gerald Leon Wallace, Jr.
UAB Dean's Nursing ScholarsThe Dean’s Nursing Scholar program is designed for academically talented high school seniors who are strongly considering a career in nursing. Scholars receive a number of benefits, including:
- Opportunities to visit the School of Nursing to attend special events designed for the Scholars to learn about nursing and the BSN program
- Priority admission to the highly ranked and competitive BSN nursing program as long as the Scholar:
- Enrolls at UAB directly from high school
- Successfully completes the required undergraduate pre-requisite foundation and core classes
- Achieves and maintains a 3.2 or higher GPA in the required nursing pre-requisite courses
- Maintains a minimum overall 3.0 GPA
Criteria for Selection
- Individuals selected for the Dean’s Nursing Scholars must:
- Be a high school senior
- Achieve a composite ACT score of 24 or above or a composite SAT score of 1090 or above
- Possess a minimum high school grade point average of 3.2
- Be admitted to UAB through the UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- All applications must be submitted by the posted deadline. All applicants must:
- Complete the admission application through the UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Complete the UAB Nursing Scholars application
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a high school administrator, counselor or teacher describing your suitability for a career in nursing
- Write a one-page essay on your selection of nursing as a career and your future professional goals
- Submit an official high school transcript
- Submit official ACT or ACT scores
Applicants with an ACT score of 28 or higher should select the School of Nursing- Dean’s Nursing Scholar as part of your admission’s offer. All application materials are reviewed in the process of selection of Dean’s Nursing Scholars.
- Info: Academic Programs
- Info AP PhD
- Info AP Post Degree
- Info AP Non-Degree Options
- Info AP Honors-Scholars
- Info Student Life
- Info Funded Education
- International Students
- Info AP DNP
- Info AP MSN
- Info: Admissions
- Information for Students
- Info: Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Info: FAQs
- Info Application Deadlines
- Info Tuition and Fees
- Info AP BSN
- Info AP RN Mobility
- Info AP AMNP
- Info CRNA