Global Health Resources at UAB
Bertha and Joseph Smolian International House
The multifunctional Smolian International House (I-House) at UAB offers a variety of services and activities for international students and scholars. I-House is located at 1600 10th Avenue South.
Department of Foreign Languages at UAB
The Department of Foreign Languages at UAB offers many resources that support international teaching, scholarship, and service. In addition to offering instruction in numerous languages, the department has cross-listed a course entitled "Spanish for Health Professionals" with the School of Nursing, allowing undergraduate nursing students to use this course to meet their requirement for a nursing elective course. Please click on the website of this department for more information on the many offerings.
International Recruitment and Student Services
The mission of International Recruitment and Student Services (IRSS) is to provide quality services, programs, and activities that enhance cultural awareness, international educational and research opportunities, and global perspectives for students, faculty, and staff.
ISSS advises foreign students and assists visiting international faculty and students in matters of immigration, federal and state taxation, and orientation to the Birmingham community. ISSS also serves as a collaborative resource center that facilitates, promotes, and strengthens international understanding on campus and throughout the Birmingham community.
Office of Sponsored International Program
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is committed to the enhancement of people throughout the world through the discovery, dissemination, and application of knowledge. The Office of Sponsored International Programs (OSIP) was established in the Office of the Vice President for Research to facilitate the University's ability to conduct service, education, and research programs at international sites by continuously building on experiences and by adapting University policy for international activities. The services provided by OSIP will enhance the ability of the institution both to strengthen and expand existing programs and to encourage and promote other international endeavors.
Sparkman Center for Global Health at UAB
The primary mission of the Sparkman Center is to contribute to solutions of health problems in developing countries by implementing comprehensive, graduate-level training and educational public health programs that are organized collaboratively with academic institutions, international agencies, and health ministries within the host country.
Other Study Away Opportunities
UAB's Study Abroad program has over 50 programs in 27 international locations in the areas of Language, Arts, Nursing, Business, Social science, Engineering and Natural science.
External Global Health Links
- American College of Nurse-Midwives
- American Public Health Association, International Health Section
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Catholic Relief Services
- Clinton Global Initiative
- Council on International Neonatal Nurses
- Center for Development and Population Activities (CEDPA)
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health
- Engender Health
- Family Health International (FHI)
- Global Alliance for Nursing and Midwifery (GANM)
- Global Health Council
- Global Health Delivery Online
- Global Health Education Consortium
- Global Health, US Dept of Health & Human Services
- Global Network of WHO Nursing and Midwifery Collaborating Centers
- Global Partnership for Disability and Development
- Honor Society of Nursing Sigma Theta Tau International
- Implementing Best Practices (IBP) in Reproductive Health
- International Confederation of Midwives
- International Council of Nursing
- International Labor Organization
- John F. Fogarty Center for Advanced Study in Health Services
- John Snow Institute
- Language Connections
- Management Sciences for Health
- March of Dimes
- Medical Relief International
- National League for Nursing
- Nightingale Initiative for Global Health (NIGH)
- Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Partners in Health
- Pathfinder International
- World Health Organization
- World Vision