PhD Summer Intensive
Attendence and registration are required, Tuesday June 10 - Friday June 13, 2014
We are excited for all of our PhD students and PhD faculty to come together at this year's Intensive. For the 2014 Draft Intensive Agenda, click here.
Orientation to the PhD Program - for New Students Only!
Linda Moneyham, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Overview of Program & PhD Education - Research-focused doctorates, Program Outcomes, expectations for students, The Nurse Scientist, research vs. practice focused doctorates, Funding Your Doctoral Education, The Research Mentor & Mentee, What the best PhD students do – tips for success
- The Research Scientist Trajectory - The PhD Experience as a Foundation, Research Immersion Experiences, The Research Practicum, Becoming expert in your focus area – substantive core courses
- PhD Bootcamp
David Vance, PhD,MGS, & Dheeraj Raju, PhD
- Basic Data Management & Descriptive Stats - Entering raw data, reverse scoring, scoring/composite scores, means, standard deviations, frequencies, missing data, tables & graphs
- Basic Inferential Stats - Correlations, chi-square, T-test, & ANOVA
- Covariates & Multiple Regression - Defining covariates, correlations vs. partial correlations, ANOVA vs. ANCOVA, multiple regression, & more
Writing & Dissemination
Rita Jablonski, PhD, RN, FAAN
The purpose of this Writing Workshop is to assist doctoral students with meeting one of two outcomes: completion of a chapter for their proposal defense (dissertation option) or completion of a manuscript (three manuscript option, must have permission of committee). The daily activities will be divided into 2 periods: a period of discussion and critique, followed by a 2-hour period of intense writing. Full agenda and can be downloaded here.
Karen Heaton, PhD, CEN, FNP-BC & Gwendolyn Child, PhD, RN
- ① Who are you? The importance of your brand; ② Selling your brand-finding a fit; ③ Transitions
- ① Strategies for taking charge of your faculty development (FD) across missions
- ① Dissemination: The critical path to impact; ② Work-life balance
All students are required to attend the Jean Kelley Lecture.
All students are expected to submit a poster of their work. A 54x36 poster template can be downloaded here.
Posters! Posters! Posters!
Students are required to print their posters at their own expense. A number of printing options are available;
- The UAB Biomedical Sciences Poster Service Center
- UAB Printing and Mailing
- FedEx Office
You may know it as the birthplace of the steel movement, but this “Magic City” has grown into a charming Southern city with a buzzing urban center – and UAB is right in the middle of it.