The planning and programming for the expansion of the UAB School of Nursing kicked off in January 2013. The original School of Nursing Building was constructed in 1971 with an addition added in 1992. With record enrollment numbers over the past decade the School has outgrown the current building and the technological needs for education in the 21st Century.
Our planning process was focused on functional needs, stewardship of the potential capital investment and future needs not only of the UAB School of Nursing but our position as interdisciplinary researchers, clinicians, educators and leaders in academic nursing.
It also was designed to ensure the new and renovated space is in complete alignment with UAB's strategic plan, AMC21.
As such, guiding principles for the expansion and renovation were developed. These are:
- Be student centered
- Provide spaces for collaboration; students, faculty and research teams
- Facilitate innovative teaching
- Help recruit exceptional students
- Maximize professional development programs and partnerships
- Grow interdisciplinary research
- Respect the heritage of the School
- Connect with the existing building for continuity and flow
The renovated and expanded building is organized around new teaching, research, office support and collaboration spaces designed to advance the vision and mission of the UAB School of Nursing.