Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a CSUA number and how is it different from a DEA License?
    A CSUA number is an authorization number to use controlled substances regulated by the DEA and the State for a specific purpose at UAB. This would include things like research projects or for teaching.  A CSUA number is associated with a specific DEA License that may cover several researchers.
  2. Do I have to renew my CSUA number? If so how will I know when to renew?
    Yes, your CSUA number requires annual renewal on the anniversary date just like a research DEA License. You will be sent a reminder by email at least 30 days in advance to go the website and check if anything has changed with regard to staff or projects, etc.
  3. I don’t use a lot of controlled substances during the year, what if it expires before I use it? Since we have to order our own won’t there be a delay in me getting new material.
    The CSUA Web Application will send you an email letting you know that our records indicate that a specific Controlled Substance identified by a unique number is about to expire within 30 days so you can take necessary steps to get new material and dispose of the old stock.
  4. Why have storage requirements changed? We already had our storage location approved years ago.
    Diversion of controlled substances has become a nationwide problem so UAB has established new guidelines to meet current federal Drug Enforcement Administration Regulations. Storage of dispensing logs with the drugs and separation of records in certain schedules is important to an overall diversion control program.
  5. What do I do with empty controlled substance (CS) bottles?
    First make sure you have accounted for the used CS in your inventory by checking the Usage Log for proper signatures for all doses, matching container ID numbers on the bottle and log sheet, and ensuring the remaining physical inventory matches the Usage Log binder. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the Usage Log sheet. Be sure to reconcile your electronic inventory in the CSUA Web application under the Dispensing/Use tab.
  6. How do I store my listed chemicals and precursors?
    You may mix listed chemicals in with other lab chemicals of the same class, however the DEA gets reports when these chemicals are purchased and will ask where you are storing them.  They should only be stored in a lab that can be locked and is under the control of the researcher. They should not be stored in the same cabinet with other Controlled Substances.
  7. What program administers the use of controlled substances in human research?
    Research using controlled substances in humans must be obtained with the physician/practitioner's personal DEA registration and be delivered to the Research Pharmacist in the hospital so it can be dispensed as required by the FDA. Contact the Research Pharmacist at 934-3488.