This program is designed for, and enrollment is required for, UAB Employees who:
- Have direct contact with animals, their viable tissues, body fluids, wastes or living quarters. This includes, but is not limited to, Animal Care Staff, Investigators, laboratory staff, and some Maintenance and Environmental Services personnel.
- Work in the laboratory or have direct contact with material of human origin.
- Have direct contact with material capable of causing disease or injury in humans.
- Have direct contact with raw sewage through plumbing activities.
- Are exposed to excessive levels of noise (>85 db).
Note: Individuals not employed by UAB, but who will be conducting work with any of the above at UAB, must provide proof that their proposed work/potential exposure at UAB along with their medical history has been reviewed by their personal physician. A clearance document indicating the above, along with any work restrictions, must be signed by the physician on his/her office letterhead and provided to OH&S Employee Health along with a copy of the Employee Health Enrollment Form prior to being granted access to the animals or the animal facility. Examples of those ineligible for the OH&S Employee Health program include:
- Non-paid students
- Individuals from private companies conducting work at UAB
- Visiting Scientists
- UAB Hospital Employees (should be covered by the UAB Employee Health Program)