Applying for a Grant?
If your work involves the use of:
- Microbial agents or products
- Human blood/body fluids
- Human gene transfer (therapy)
- Carcinogenic, mutagenic or teratogenic chemicals
- Highly toxic chemicals/drugs
- Toxins or toxic products
- Human or non-human primate primary cell/tissue culture
- Recombinant DNA/RNA
or your granting/funding agency, UAB collaborator or service provider requires a formal safety compliance letter from UAB Occupational Health and Safety, then you must register the project and send a summary of the work to UAB OHS.
All projects that require OHS or Institutional Biosafety Committee authorization or compliance letters must be received by OHS by the last working day of the month in order to enter them into the review cycle for the subsequent month (e.g. project received by May 31 are reviewed in the June review cycle).
Projects involving human gene transfer, Select Agents, HIV, BSL-3 agents, or novel recombinants may have additional requirements.
Contact OHS early in the process. Incomplete packages (missing documents or information) will be deferred until the missing information is received by OH&S. Project types that require written approvals or authorization for use include, but are not limited to:
- Bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites or their products which require biosafety level 2 or higher containment (see http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bmbl5/bmbl5toc.htm)
- Non-exempt recombinant DNA research
- Human gene transfer-IBC approval must be obtained from each institution at which recombinant DNA material will be administered to human subjects (see Appendix M of the NIH Guidelines)
- Select agents (see 42CFR73)
- Introduction of any of this material into animals (including the administration of transfected cells).
- Requirement specified by the granting agency, collaborator, or service provider (check your grant application packet for requirements)
- Project Registration Form
- Select Agent Registration
- FAQs Research Project Review
- UAB Laboratory Safety Plan and Laboratory Self Audit - under Laboratory Safety Audit Forms, Stickers & Signs