GS400: Building Life SafetyThis training is intended for building administrators and/or department heads, or their designees, who have responsibility for maintaining a safe work environment. The course takes about 20 minutes and can be paused and restarted if you get interrupted. It is designed to help you recognize and comply with Life Safety Code requirements in the operation of their buildings/departments.
After completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Recognize and prevent common Life Safety Code violations.
- Know what to look for when performing an annual building inspection. (This annual inspection should be performed by the Building Administrator, managers, or designee. A checklist has been provided at the bottom of this page to assist you.)
- Know what OH&S will look for when they perform a building inspection.
- Maintain their buildings in a manner that minimizes risk to faculty, staff and students.
- Responsibilities of building supervisors/managers
- Fire and smoke barriers
- Fire alarms and smoke alarms
- Emergency equipment – fire extinguishers, fire connections, etc.
- Basic electrical equipment safety.
Registration: Follow these registration instructions.
After completing the course, if you wish to receive credit, finish the survey for each building you oversee and submit it.
- fax it to Mike Boyle at 934-7487 OR
- send it by campus mail to:
CH 19 Room 445
Call 205-934-2487 for more information.