Disposal of WasteHazardous Waste: What is a hazardous waste?
- Unwanted, expired or waste chemicals and experiment/testing residues from lab operations
- Spent solvents, paints, pigments, etching acids, photo and x-ray developing and fixing solutions
- Any discarded, abandoned or unwanted material that exhibits a hazardous characteristic or is listed as a hazardous waste in the regulations
If you have any questions regarding hazardous waste disposal, contact the OHS Support Facility at 934-3797.
Medical Waste - Collected from labs and hospitals and shipped to commercial medical waste treatment, storage and disposal facilities
Municipal Solid Waste
- Regular garbage (food, packaging, etc..)
- Placed in trash cans and dumpsters around campus. Goes to local MSW landfills
- Plastic, cardboard, white paper, aluminum cans
- Placed in special recycling containers around campus or taken directly to the UAB Recycling Center. Material is sorted and compressed and sent to a local recycling center.
- Used Oil
- Sent to a recycler where it is blended as a fuel for use in industrial furnaces. Sometimes it can be re-refined back into lubrication oil.
- Kitchen Grease
- Sent to commercial facility for recycling into livestock feed or biodiesel
Universal Waste - Collected from hospital and campus buildings and shipped to commercial universal waste treatment storage, disposal, and recycling facilities