Principal Investigators (PIs) must obtain a Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) to possess and use Controlled Substances for any of these purposes:
  • Teaching
  • Veterinary Care
  • Non-Human Research
Note: Clinical trials performed on campus through the pharmacy do not require a CSUA.

How do I get a CSUA?
The Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) Web Application is used by PI’s to apply for an Authorization Number and to designate Authorized Personnel to work under his/her number. The web interface is also used to document training and Controlled Substance possession, for strict compliance with Federal regulations, and by the UAB Controlled Substances Program.

The CSUA Web Application can be found here.

All required training must be completed before applying.

Note: Principal Investigator’s and their CSUA secondary contacts have access to this application. Other individuals listed as Authorized Personnel on a CSUA do not.

Below you will find reference material/Job Aids to assist you. Feel free to return here and print any of the material you find useful.
A CSUA number is an authorization number to use DEA regulated controlled substances at UAB. This would include using CS in research projects, teaching and veterinary care. A CSUA number is associated with a specific DEA License that may cover several researchers.
^ click to open
No. All the orders are processed by OH&S and refer to Ordering CS for details.
^ click to open
Yes, your CSUA number requires annual renewal. You will be sent a reminder by email at least 30 days in advance to go to the web account and update anything that has changed with regard to staff or projects, etc. You may have to renew your Personal Screening Document too.
^ click to open
Please allow approximately three weeks for Schedule II Controlled Substances and approximately ten days for Schedule III-V Controlled Substances.
^ click to open
The CSUA Web Application will send you an email letting you know that our records indicate that a specific Controlled Substance identified by a unique number is about to expire within 30 days so you can take necessary steps to get new material and dispose of the old stock.
^ click to open
First make sure you have accounted for the used CS in your inventory by checking the Usage Log (both hard copy and online) for proper signatures for all doses, matching container ID numbers on the bottle and log sheet, and ensuring the remaining physical inventory matches the Usage Log. If the bottle is completely empty, you can remove the label and dispose the bottle with regular trash. Make sure a copy of the usage log sheet is emailed to
^ click to open
Research using controlled substances in humans must be obtained with the physician/practitioner's personal DEA registration and be delivered to the Research Pharmacist in the hospital so it can be dispensed as required by the FDA.
^ click to open
flag redImportant: Disposal of CS is strictly regulated by federal law!

How do I know when to request a Controlled Substance disposal?

You should request for a Controlled Substance disposal when:
  • A project closes or is terminated and a Controlled Substance is still in supply
  • A CSUA expires and a renewal has not been submitted
  • The PI determines a Controlled Substance is no longer required
  • The PI terminates employment
  • The Controlled Substance expires
Return all unwanted Controlled Substances to Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) for disposal!
Controlled Substances for disposal may be handed over to the Controlled Substances Program Manager when you are picking up your new orders at the OH&S office. Please bring a copy of the corresponding usage log sheet.

Below you will find reference material/Job Aids to assist you. Feel free to return here and print any of the material you find useful.