Support FacilityThe Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Support Facility provides vital services to the university's facilities and laboratories. The services provided by OH&S Support Facility include:
- Collecting hazardous and radioactive waste generated from research laboratories on UAB academic and medical campuses.
- Management of collected hazardous and radioactive waste at the OH&S Support Facility building according to local, state, and federal environmental regulations.
- Providing assistance to lab personnel in the proper method of packing and manifesting hazardous and radioactive waste.
- Responding to any chemical or radioactive spill.
The OH&S Support Facility is located at 700 7th Ave S, and can be reached at 934-3797.
Universal WasteUniversal waste (UW) typically consists of:
- non-alkaline batteries (Ni-Cad, Li-Ion, and lead acid)
- mercury containing devices (thermostats, thermometers)
- mercury containing lamps (fluorescent bulbs)
UW Storage Areas (Satellite Stations)
Clean and remove any evidence of spills, releases, or leaks within 24 hours of detection.
When packing containers of UW, you must:
- Attach a label showing:
- the material type (universal waste bulbs, universal waste batteries, mercury containing devices, etc.)
- the date the accumulation began
- the address or location of the collection
- Seal the container. The container must be in good condition and suitable for transportation.
- Keep the containers closed, except when adding or removing materials.
To dispose of UV or Germicidal bulbs, decontaminate the bulb with a suitable decon solution (70% ethanol or 10% chlorox). Give the bulbs to UAB maintenance.
Contact the UAB Support Facility at 934.3797 for assistance if needed.
Hazardous Materials Spill ProceduresIn the event of an accidental release of hazardous materials, please follow the information provided to assist us with our response.
Required Information, Reporting, and Procedures
Identification and Contact Information:
Biological (Hospital Areas): Call floor nurse or Environmental Services @ 4-4288 Or Hospital Safety @ 934.1246 (Campus Areas) or Call responsible investigator or Biosafety @ 934.2487.Questions to be Answered:
Chemical (All Areas): During work hours (8-5 Mon. – Fri.) call Chemical Safety at 934.2487 or OH&S Support Facility @ 934.3797. After hours, you may reach the Director on call by paging 8744 or calling 288.6742.
Radiological (All Areas): During work hours (8-5 Mon. – Fri.) call Radiation Safety at 934.2487 or OH&S Support Facility @ 934.3797. After hours, you may reach the Director on call by paging 8744 or calling 288.6742.
Your phone number?
Where is spill located?
What is the name or specific nature of the spill? (Toluene, 32P aqueous buffer, etc.)
If radioactive, how much activity in millicuries?
Anyone hurt or contaminated?
Has area been evacuated?
Can you isolate the spill area?
Leave the area immediately if spill is not readily controlled or if potentially dangerous.
Notify others in surrounding areas.
Isolate spill by closing doors or barricading.
Place appropriate absorbent material around spill to prevent spread.
Do not attempt to dilute or treat chemically unless advised to do so by OH&S
If someone is injured, notify UAB Emergency Room @ 4-5105 as soon as possible.
Stay close to scene until you see UAB Response Personnel
Many things can go wrong during a spill. If you stay calm, use common sense, report the answers to the previous questions, and take the necessary defensive procedures we can reduce the effects of hazardous material spills.
In Case of a Hazardous Spill
Radioactive WasteThe process of identifying the contents of a shipment of hazardous materials through specific lists is known as the manifesting of hazardous materials. For radioactive waste shipments, the specific document used is known as the radioactive waste manifest.
This document serves multiple purposes:
- Identifies the radioactive materials
- Identifies the chemical constituents by weight
- Certifies that the radioactive wastes have been packaged according to the requirements of the UAB Radioisotope and Radiation Safety Committee
Radioactive Waste Manifest
Radioactive Waste Packing Checklist
Radioactive Waste Packaging Notice