The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) closely monitors what is and is not allowed into the sewers and surface waters. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates this activity in an oversight role. Therefore, any UAB employee working with oil is required to complete training on Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC). The course is designed to teach those working with petroleum products and waste, how to:
- Properly handle and store petroleum products
- Properly dispose of waste in compliance with ADEM regulations
- Respond to spills
- Report spills to the appropriate entity
For more information, you may contact:
David Hagan, Director of the Environmental Management Program, at (205) 934-2487
In case of a large spill:
- Contact your supervisor/manager as well as the OH&S Spill Response team (205) 934-2487.
- If it is a weekend or holiday, please contact the UAB Police (205) 934-4434.
Registration: Follow these registration instructions.
Below you will find reference material and job aids to assist you in handling and packing hazardous waste. After completing the course, feel free to return here and print any of the material you find useful.