The RS1003 Radiation Safety Initial Training Sessions is online and consists of four modules with a comprehensive quiz at the end of each module:
- Module 1: Radiation Basics (Terminology), Quiz 1
- Module 2: Radiation Calculations, Quiz 2
- Module 3: Policies and Procedures (Specific to UAB and the State of Alabama), Quiz 3
- Module 4: Ordering, Receiving, Transferring, and Disposal of Radioactive Materials at UAB, Quiz 4
Upon successful completion of the four modules, you may schedule your bioassay. Once your bioassay has been entered into the system, you may schedule the practicum class.
Once you have successfully completed the practicum, you will be finished with the course unless you are a License or Alternate License. For those who are Licenses or Alternates, you must complete the Radiation Safety License and Management course. This is taught live one-on-one at this time.
Remember you must complete the Radiation Safety Refresher every five years or if regulations change.
A BlazerID or XIAS account is required to register for and take the course.
Registration: Follow these registration instructions.A copy of the completed training certificate must be maintained on file and presented to the proper authorities upon request.
Once you pass the assessment for the course, you may go to the My Transcript tab and located the course link. Once you click on the link, you will see another link that brings up your certificate for the course. Choose File, Print to print it.
Below you will find reference material and job aids to assist you in understanding the Radiation Safety Standard. After completing the course, feel free to return here and print any of the material you find useful.
- 2014 Inventory Calendar
- Accepted Half-Lives of Commonly Used Radioisotopes
- Decommissioning and Termination Procedures
- Ordering Radioactive Materials
- PMF - Personnel Monitoring Form
- Radioactive Waste Packing Checklist
- Radioactive Waste Packing Notice
- Radiation Safety Glossary
- Radiation Work with Protective Lead Aprons
- Responsibilities of the Licensees and Alternate Licensees
- The Responsibility Hierarchy
- Transferring Radioactive Materials
Call 205-934-2487 for more information.