It is designed to offer principal investigators, laboratory managers, supervisors and science educators an in-depth review of laboratory safety practices, UAB policies and procedures, regulatory compliance, as well as legal and liability issues. In depth discussions and demonstrations are offered on Biosafety, Chemical Safety, Hazardous Materials, Waste, and General Safety. A catered lunch will be provided.
Laboratory Safety WorkshopKey objectives include:
Date & time: June 26th, 2014; 8am-5pm
Location: Community Health Services Building (CH19) Training Room (B-01).
There is a $25 fee for UAB employees.
Class size is limited.
- Go to the UAB Faculty & Staff Learning System.
- Click on "Access Learning System" and login.
- Click on "Catalog", and search for Laboratory Safety Workshop
- Emergency disaster response
- Hazardous biological and chemical spill response
- Management of biomedical and chemical laboratory waste
- Selection and use of appropriate personal protective equipment
- Proper use of disinfectants
- Proper use of biological safety cabinets
It is strongly recommended that you have had one or more of the following courses to prepare for this course:
- Basic Biosafety
- Chemical Safety
- Hazardous Waste Handling and Packing
- Medical Waste Handling
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Biosafety Cabinets and Fume Hoods
This is an excellent course for anyone who works in or supervises a laboratory. This is a high-energy class and will require more movement than sitting.
Class will begin promptly at 8:00 am. Please be on time. You might miss a critical part of the first event if you are late.
Call 934-2487 for more information.