It is designed to offer principal investigators, laboratory managers, supervisors and science educators an in-depth review of laboratory safety practices, UAB policies and procedures, regulatory compliance, as well as legal and liability issues. In depth discussions and demonstrations are offered on Biosafety, Chemical Safety, Hazardous Materials, Waste, and General Safety. A catered lunch will be provided.
Laboratory Safety WorkshopKey objectives include:
Date & time: May 24, 2016; 8am-5pm
Location: Community Health Services Building (CH19) Training Room (B-01), EOC, and Basement Training Lab.
There is a $25 fee for UAB employees.
Class size is limited to 25 participants.
2016 Workshop Agenda
- Go to the UAB Faculty & Staff Learning System.
- Click on "Access Learning System" and login.
- Click on "Catalog", and search for Laboratory Safety Workshop
- Table top laboratory emergency preparedness exercise
- Selection and use of appropriate personal protective equipment
- Proper use of biological safety cabinets & biohazardous agent spill cleanup
- Working in a chemical fume hood
- Hazardous chemical spill cleanup
- Contaminated gloves removal
- Hazardous chemical waste handling & packing and management of satellite accumulation area
- Transport of biohazards across campus
- Biomedical and biohazardous waste handling, packing, & disposal
- Emergency evacuation exercise
- Basic Biosafety
- Chemical Safety
- Hazardous Waste Handling and Packing
- Medical Waste Handling
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Biosafety Cabinets and Fume Hoods
This is an excellent course for anyone who works in or supervises a laboratory. This is a high-energy class and will require more movement than sitting.
Class will begin promptly at 8:00 am. Please be on time. You might miss a critical part of the first event if you are late.
Call 934-2487 for more information.