- How can I ensure that I am ready for online instruction?
- Is online instruction easier than traditional instruction?
- What resources are available to me as an online student?
- How can I ensure my computer is set up properly to take an online course?
- What software/hardware are needed to participate in an online course?
- What technical skills are needed to be successful in an online coursee?
- What type of internet connection is needed for taking an online course?
- What is my BlazerID?
- What if I forget my BlazerID and/or password?
- How do I login to my online course?
- How do I set up a UAB email account?
- How do I read my UAB email?
- What do I do if I experience technical issues (e.g. cannot login to Bb Learn, got kicked out of a test, etc.)?
- Will I be required to come to campus?
- What is exam proctoring?
- What time zone does UAB Online follow for courses?
How can I ensure that I am ready for online instruction?Take the Am I Suited for Online Learning self assessment.
Is online instruction easier than traditional instruction?No, this is a myth. Online courses are every bit as rigorous as their on-campus counterparts. However, online learning may be more difficult and time consuming than traditional classes. Why? Because the technology that is inherent in online instruction can vary from course to course, just as technical ability varies among students. Moreover, because students are not required to attend classes, they sometimes procrastinate, aligning with the old addage "out of sight, out of mind." You can avoid this by using your calendar, logging-in regularly, meeting deadlines, and ensuring that your computer meets the technical requirements and that you have the technical skill required.
What resources are available to me as an online student?You have many the same resources available online as on campus students do. A small list is below, but much more can be found at the web sites for UAB Student Services and University Academic Success Center.
- Blackboard Student Support Site
- Career Services
- Technical Support
- Academic Advising
- Disability Support Services
- UAB Libraries
- UAB Distance Learning
- UAB Wi-Fi
How can I ensure my computer is set up properly to take an online course?Access the Computer Setup page on the Blackboard Student Support Site. However, technical skills required for individual courses vary. See the course syllabus for additional technical requirements.
What software/hardware are needed to participate in an online course?You will need a computer, speakers, Internet connection at a minimum. However, technical requirements for individual courses vary. See the course syllabus for additional technical requirements. See UAB IT Software and Subscription Solutions for any downloads you may need.
What technical skills are needed to be successful in an online coursee?You do not have to be a computer genius to be successful in this course; however, at minimum you must be able to:
- Use a keyboard and mouse
- Save, open, and edit various file types
- Open, send, reply, and attach and open attachments to email messages
- Upload and download files from and to your computer and the Internet
- Navigate the Internet
- Navigate the Blackboard Learn course environment
- Utilize various technologies
- Create online accounts
- Download and utilize software and/or plug-ins as specified by your instructor
What type of Internet connection is needed for taking an online course?A high speed internet connection with speeds of 1.5 mbps or higher is recommended for online courses to ensure that you can access all of the course materials and resources particularly large file sizes as with stearming video. However, technologies used in individual courses vary. See the course syllabus for additional technical requirements.
- What does Internet speed mean?
- Some online courses use implement videos. Viewing is only possible is a certain amont of data is transfeerred to your computer in a timely manner.
- The speed that the data can be sent to you is called your "Internet speed". YouTube and most other videos are encoded with at least a 256Kbps (kilobits per second) rate/speed.
- Approximate speeds of the common types of Internet Service Providers:
- Dial-up internet - 56 bps (from phone co.)
- DSL internet - 768 kbps+ (from phone co.)
- Cable internet - 1,000-10,000+ kbps (from cable co.)
- Dial-up connections cannot retrieve the data fast enough causing video to frequently pause to let more data arrive. DSL and Cable connections are more than adequate to watch most online videos.
- How can I determine my current Internet speed?
- Visit www.bandwidthplace.com.
- Write down your Download and Upload speeds after you complete the test.
- This will aid technical support in assisting you with technical issues you may experience.
What is my BlazerID?Your BlazerID is basically the user name you were assigned. Access BlazerID verficiation page to determine if you have a BlazerID and to set it up if you do not. Other common questions about your Blazer ID can be found on the BlazerID Central site.
What if I forget my BlazerID and/or password?
- Access the BlazerID verficiation page to retrieve your BlazerID
- Change BlazerID Password to change or rest your password
Add instructions for access Blackboard-Use your BlazerID and password
How do I login to my online course?
To login to Bb Learn:
- Go to the Blackboard Learn Login page
- Enter your Blazer ID and password
- Select Login
- From the My Institutions page, select the title of the course from the My Courses list
Access the How do I set up a UAB Emal Account? page.
How do I set up a UAB email account?
How do I read my UAB email?Access the How do I read my UAB Email? page.
What do I do if I experience technical issues (e.g. cannot login to Bb Learn, got kicked out of a test, etc.)?AskIT
- Submit a ticket
- Call 205.996.5555
- Live Chat
- Self Help