College of Arts and Sciences
MISSION: To ensure that each student leaves UAB with the tools they need to succeed in an expanding and increasingly complex world, the college is dedicated to helping them develop the following skills and competencies:
- Ethical and Moral Reasoning
- The Scientific Method
- Cultural Competence
- Confidence in the Face of Complexity
VISION: We strive to establish an immersive educational experience in which students can grow through a rigorous curriculum grounded in formal instruction in the liberal arts and sciences. We will provide interdisciplinary and extracurricular experiences to prepare them for the new global ecosystem.
STRATEGIC PLAN SUMMARY: The UAB College of Arts and Sciences is home to a distinctive combination of strong academic programs, outstanding teaching and a diverse student body. Our 19 departments — home to more than 300 faculty and offering more than 30 baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees — make us the largest entity in the UAB academic enterprise. We are home to research centers, community outreach programs and interdisciplinary cooperation.
Our goal is clear: to ensure that each student leaves UAB with the knowledge and tools to succeed in an expanding and complex global future. To accomplish our goal, the college has developed five strategic aims:
- Undergraduate Education
- Research and Graduate Education
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Goal: To increase the College of Arts and Sciences’ international profile and enhance students’ global perspective. Universities need to prepare students to effectively operate and succeed in our new global environment, teaching them to be self-aware, culturally nimble and confident.
- More immersive experiences and interactions for CAS students.
- Grow faculty collaborations with international partners.
- Increase international undergraduate and graduate student enrollment by 15 percent.
- Raise international profile of CAS.
- Increase scholarships to support student travel.
Goal: To develop globally competent students and engage Career Services. The College of Arts and Sciences touches every undergraduate student who enters the university. It is responsible for ensuring that all students develop expertise in a chosen discipline while providing additional extracurricular opportunities for personal maturation and character development.
- Recruit and retain a world-class faculty and body of students.
- Maintain a curriculum that ensures critical thinking, quantitative reasoning and communication skills.
- Collaborate with campus partners to develop novel interdisciplinary programs and course offerings.
- Double the number of student applications within five years. Increase the total student enrollment by 30 percent in seven years.
- ·With Career Services, develop a culture of advising and mentoring.
- ·Improve technology and facilities.
Goal: To advance scholarship and grow the research enterprise. Scholarship and research productivity are fundamental for advancing the prestige of the college and the university.
- Partner with schools across the university to develop large-scale interdisciplinary research programs.
- Recruit distinguished professors; create and maintain state-of-the-art facilities and resources to support their work.
- Increase funding to establish a high-level, competitive faculty and to support graduate research.
- ·Encourage the submission of interdisciplinary research proposals to increase expenditures by 50 percent in five years.
- Provide competitive internal grant opportunities.
Goal: To foster a diverse community. The College of Arts and Sciences recognizes that respect for diversity and inclusion is not only a moral obligation, but is important for accelerating the process of discovery, learning and the development of responsible global citizens.
- Create an international Institute for Human Rights to raise awareness and understanding of human rights issues.
- Celebrate our national ranking for diversity.
- Recruit and retain a faculty that reflects our society, including adding more women and underrepresented minorities in leadership positions.
- Engage faculty from historically black colleges and universities in research programs.
- Increase scholarships available to students from underrepresented groups.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Goal: To create a culture of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. The College of Arts and Sciences represents a catalyst for change and the inspiration of modern entrepreneurs.
- Foster entrepreneurship at every level of the college experience.
- Provide faculty and students with resources and opportunities to explore solutions to real-world challenges.
- Partner with corporations, industry, and other academic institutions and organizations to pursue innovation areas of mutual interest.
- Encourage faculty to submit large-scale grant proposals focused on forging academic-industrial partnerships.
- Bring entrepreneurs and innovators to campus to inspire students and faculty