MISSION: The School of Medicine is dedicated to excellence in the education of physicians and scientists in all of the disciplines of medicine and biomedical investigation for careers in practice, teaching and research. Central to this educational mission are the provision of outstanding medical care and services and the enhancement of new knowledge through clinical and basic biomedical research. We embrace the University of Alabama at Birmingham's commitment to creating an inclusive environment that values differing perspectives and experiences. This diversity is essential to fulfilling the enduring mission of our medical school.
VISION: The School of Medicine will be recognized by its faculty, students, graduates and patients and by faculty members in other schools of medicine and research universities as one of the nation's premier institutions for research, training and patient care. Excellence in each of its primary missions — education, clinical care, and basic, translational and clinical research — is essential to this recognition.
STRATEGIC PLAN SUMMARY: AMC21 is UAB Medicine's strategic plan, integrating efforts of the School of Medicine and UAB Health System, to become the preferred academic medical center of the 21st century. The preferred academic medical center is defined by culture, values and investments of talent and resources that reflect a commitment to the highest levels of scholarship and innovation, which includes discovery of knowledge, the education of biomedical leaders, outstanding clinical care and the engagement of our community. What are distinguishing characteristics of a preferred academic medical center? It is where patients want to come for care; employees want to work; faculty want to practice and conduct research; students, residents and fellows want to learn; and donors want to give to a better future. AMC21 has three strategic goals, positioning UAB Medicine to be preferred for:
- Delivering outstanding patient care, particularly focused on developing quality initiatives around transplantation and clinical outcomes and process improvement measures across all clinical disciplines.
- Developing advancements in scientific discovery and biomedical research, particularly through the creation and efforts of the UAB Personalized Medicine Institute, the UAB-HudsonAlpha Center for Genomics Medicine and the UAB Informatics Institute.
- Providing a strong foundation of education and training for professionals, particularly through interprofessional education and simulation.
- UAB Medicine’s ability to achieve these goals requires an uncompromising focus on quality, satisfaction, financial performance and the advancement of knowledge, which form the "pillars" of our strategic initiative.
- These pillars are built on a foundation of innovation to harvest new ideas, fresh approaches and scientific breakthroughs; alignment and integration to encourage collaboration, communication and organizational effectiveness; Reaching for Excellence to align goals, measure outcomes and create a system of accountability; signature programs that represent the best in teaching, research and clinical care; and an emphasis on population health, committing to provide improved care to the populations we serve.
- Launched four major initiatives
- Informatics: Expand UAB capacity for data science, harnessing the power genomic,
- Cancer Survival Outcomes: Provide ability follow and true outcomes of cancer survivors; new director recruited.
- UAB HudsonAlphaCenter for Genomics: Maximize potential Genomic Science
- Personalized Medicine: Harness the power of genetically targeted therapy