CRIME ALERT: ROBBERY and KIDNAPPING (1300 Block of 3rd Avenue So)
On Monday, October 13, 2014 at approximately 1:05 pm, a UAB student parked her vehicle on the 2nd level of the parking deck located at 1300-3rd Avenue So. She was approached by an unknown black male with a knife and forced into the passenger side of her personal vehicle. The victim pleaded for the suspect to release her and told him that he could have anything in her purse. The suspect took the victim’s purse, told her to get out of the vehicle and drove away in the victim’s vehicle. The purse contained the victim’s cellular phone which was used to track the suspect’s location.
The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 20 years of age, 5’8” in height and weighing approximately 150 pounds. He was wearing a blue tank top, jeans and a black baseball cap.
The suspect was quickly apprehended by Birmingham Police Department near 18th St. SW and Lincoln Avenue.
Birmingham Police Department is investigating this case. Should you have any information pertaining to this offense, please call Birmingham Police Department’s Robbery Division at (205) 254-1753. Det. Johnny Jones is investigating this case.
Tips to keep you safe during a robbery:
- Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear.
- If at all possible, walk with others---there is safety in numbers.
- Never resist a robber. The robber wants your valuables, not you! Items can always be replaced…you can’t.
- Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The police will want to know what they were wearing, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the police after the robbery.
The UAB Blazer Express Safety Escort provides late-night, on-demand van service for UAB students and employees 9:00 pm until 5:30 am, every day.
Call 205-934-8772 to request a ride on campus.
UAB students and employees must present their UAB ID badge to be transported. Visitors will be allowed to use the service when accompanied by a card-carrying student or employee.
The Safety Escort coverage area extends to these borders:
- Railroad Park to the north
- Eighth Street to the west
- 22nd Street to the east
- 14th Avenue to the south