Attempted Robbery UAB Highlands Parking Lot
On Thursday, 06 June 2013 at approximately 0012 hours, an attempted robbery took place in the UAB Highlands Parking Lot( 1201-11th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205). A former UAB employee was walking to her vehicle when she was grabbed from behind by an unknown female suspect. The suspect told the victim, “Don’t make a sound and give me your purse”. The victim screamed, the suspect released the victim and fled the area on foot heading West towards the Glen Iris neighborhood. The victim was unharmed.
The suspect is described as a black female, 180 lbs with shoulder length hair. She was wearing dark pants and a dark sweat shirt.
The UAB Police Department is investigating this case. Should you have any information pertaining to this offense, please call (205)934-4434. Det. James Dye is the detective assigned to this case.
Tips to keep you safe during a robbery:
- Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear. Don’t hold anything back. This may save your life. Please give the robber(s) what they ask for, upsetting the robber is the last thing you want to do. Don’t be a hero.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk with a purpose, head up, and looking around. Stay in lighted areas at night. The robber doesn't want to be seen.
- Be conscious of people just "hanging around" anywhere, especially near pay phones, public rest rooms, building entrances and garages.
- Control your temper for the moment and remind yourself that you can’t be replaced. Make a mental note of the suspect’s appearance.
- Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The police will want to know what they were wearing, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the police after the robbery.
- Please walk accompanied at night. There is strength in numbers.
If you are on campus use the UAB Escort Service, an after-dark service provided upon request to UAB students and employees on the UAB Campus. You may reach the UAB Escort Service by calling 934-8772 from your office or cell phone. If these phones are not available, call UAB Police at 934-4434, or you may use a HELP Phone to request an escort. A UAB escort will meet you at any on-campus location(including parking facilities) and accompany you to your on-campus destination either on foot or in a marked vehicle. For more information on the escort service, go to http://www.uab.edu/police/programs-and-services/campus-escort.