Holiday Safety TIpsSafety during the Holidays
During the holidays, the potential for thefts and robberies increase. More people are out and about, and they are carrying more money than during other times of the year. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Carry your valuables sensibly. Do not keep cash in your wallet. Instead, keep it in an inside pocket and only carry the credit cards you'll need.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. If you must leave packages in your car, put them in the trunk. Keep receipts with you.
- Carry a cell phone with you. If someone makes you suspicious or uncomfortable, notify security or call the police.
- Whenever possible, park and walk in well-lit areas. Be aware of your surroundings, especially the people around you.
- Do not keep a wallet, credit cards or cash in a backpack. If you are in a crowd, consider carrying the backpack in front of you. Pickpockets can quickly and easily remove items from a backpack without being noticed by the owner.
- If you are traveling for the holidays, make your home look "lived in". Have a friend or neighbor collect your mail and newspapers or have your service suspended while you are away. Use timers to turn lights off and on.