- Obey all traffic laws.
- Go with the flow of traffic.
- Before turning, stopping, or leaving a lane, give the proper hand signal.
- Wear a helmet at all times when riding a bicycle.
- Use a bike light when riding a bicycle at night.
- Use a bike rack. Do not park your bicycle in a doorway, on stairs, or blocking any handicapped access.
- When securing your bicycle, use a sturdy, good quality U- lock.
- Engrave or permanently mark your bicycle with an identifying number and record that number with UAB police.
UAB Police Bicycle Safety Tips:
Properly securing your bicycle with a quality lock will reduce a crime of opportunity. Thieves know this and have figured out that stealing bikes and bike parts can be a lucrative business. If you own a bicycle, use a sturdy, good quality U-lock. A cable or chain lock is very vulnerable and easily defeated. The U-lock is sold in most bicycle stores.