What are You Doing to Prevent Crime?There are a great number of things you could be doing NOW to prevent a crime from occurring:
- Join UAB Campus Watch.
- Take one of our Crime Prevention or Personal Safety/Self Defense Classes
- Stay abreast of media alerts and prevention measures.
- Read campus newspapers to stay abreast of local concerns.
- If possible, never walk alone in dimly lit areas without a companion or associate. If you must walk alone, be cautious., stay alert, and be aware of your surroundings....or call for an ESCORT.
- Use the best lighted and heaviest traveled routes while walking.
- Have your keys ready when you get to your car for quick entry. Lock your doors immediately and keep windows rolled up once you get in.
- Don't roll your window down to talk to a stranger under suspicious circumstances. If you think you are being followed, turn abruptly several times, and if you are being followed, drive to a crowded, well lit area (fire station, store, etc.) and have someone there call the police for you.
- Do not stop and get out of your car to call for help in isolated areas. If you are walking, begin looking for an escape or someone to help.
- If someone demands your valuables (car, purse, wallet, etc.), just give it to them. It is all replaceable and not worth getting hurt, seriously injured, or killed over!
- Keep your valuables out of sight (in your trunk, under the seat, etc.) in your car.
- If you are going away from the office for more than just a few moments, lock your door. Keep your personal valuables (purse, wallet, etc.) locked in a drawer.
- Call the UAB Crime Prevention Specialist at (205) 934-2409 for additional information.
If there should be a need for potential threat information to be made available to the public, it will be distributed to the UAB community in various ways by:
- Fax machines
- Electronic mail
- UAB Reporter
- Monday mailing
- UAB Campus Watch
- Flyers and posters
- Hand delivered messages
You can visit the UAB Emergency Information page for where and when to look for updates in an emergency situation.