Armed Robbery (off campus) 1500 15th St So.
At approximately 7:55 pm, Monday, November 5, 2012, a UAB student was robbed at the gate of an off campus condominium in the 1500 block of 15th Street South. The suspect approached the female victim engaging her in small talk, then pointed a silver handgun in her face and demanded all of her possessions. The suspect is described as a light skinned black male, approximately 5’10” in height, with a low haircut with approximately two parts cut into the haircut. He was wearing dark jeans, a green shirt, and brown woven wool-like coat. The suspect sped down the alley in a black Nissan Altima or Maxima with tinted windows. The victim was not harmed.
The Birmingham Police Department is handling the case. Anyone with information on the suspect, please call 911.
Tips to Keep You Safe In The Event of a Robbery
- Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear. Don’t hold anything back. This may save your life. Please give them what they ask for, upsetting the robber is the last thing you want to do! Don’t be a Hero.
- Control your temper for the moment and remind yourself that you can’t be replaced. Make a Mental Note of their Appearance.
- Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The Police will want to know what they were wearing, shoes, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color, and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the Police after the robbery.
- Please walk accompanied at night.
- If you are on campus use the UAB Escort Service, an after-dark service provided upon request to UAB students and employees on the UAB campus. You may reach the UAB Escort Service by calling 934-8772 from your office or cell phone. If these phones are not available, you may use a HELP Phone to request an escort. A UAB escort will meet you at any on-campus location (including parking facilities) and accompany you to your on-campus destination either on foot or in a marked vehicle. For more information on the escort service, go to http://www.uab.edu/police/programs-and-services/campus-escort.