Victim's RightsYou have and may request the right to notification about:
- All criminal proceedings and charges filed against the defendant, with the exception of initial appearance, and the right to be present at all proceedings:
- To necessary information regarding the appropriate agencies from which you may request information and assistance;
- To an explanation of the pre-sentence report, a right to make a written or oral statement to the probation officer, and a right to review the pre-sentence report;
- To be notified of the time and place of any sentencing hearing and to make a statement, or present any information at a sentencing proceeding or any other proceedings as authorized by law;
- To information regarding the return of any property taken;
- To be provided the date of conviction, acquittal or dismissal of charges against the defendant and the sentence imposed;
- To refuse an interview or other communication by the defendant, his attorney or anyone acting on his behalf;
- The status and results of any post conviction appeal;
- To be provided a waiting area separate from the defendant, his relatives and defense witnesses if available and practical;
- To submit a statement to be entered into the prisoner's records;
- To be notified of release, on bond and from prison, escape, re-arrest or death of prisoner;
- To information regarding collecting of restitution;
- To release opinion by the Alabama Department of Mental Health;
- To be notified of any hearings by the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the right to be present and hear such hearings.
As a crime victim, you may be entitled to compensation from the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission. You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been the victim of personal injury as the result of criminally injurious conduct.
- You are the dependent of a deceased victim, if such victim died as a result of this crime.
- You did not cause or contribute to the injury or death of the victim.
- An application is filed within one year of the incident.
- The incident was reported to law enforcement within 72 hours.
- You cooperated fully with law enforcement officials.
- Your economic loss has not been paid by other sources.
For Additional Information Contact
Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission
P.O. Box 1548
Montgomery, Alabama 36102-1548
(800) 541-9388 or (334) 242-4007