The Office of Postdoctoral Education provides:
- A website location for faculty to advertise their available positions for potential Postdoctoral candidates to review. Send a description of the available position for posting to email@example.com.
- An information packet for faculty to give to Postdoc candidates during recruiting and interviewing. The packet includes information about Birmingham and UAB Postdoctoral issues such as insurance, vacation, maternity leave, policies and procedures, and available awards.
- Informational advertisements about UAB on a regular basis in journals such as Science, New Scientist andvarious on-line publications.
- Opportunities for Postdocs to compete twice yearly for the Career Enhancement Awards (CEA) which provide up to $1,500.00 for collaborative research with other universities, attending workshops or courses to learn new skills or internships up to 1 month. Our Travel Awards provide $500.00 for Postdocs to enhance their development by traveling to national or international scientific meetings for the purpose of giving an oral presentation. Another OPE competitive award, Internship Award, provides the funding to experience another learning environment in industrial, academics, or administrative settings for up to six weeks. The Postdoctoral Scholar Award of $1,000.00 is given to any Postdoc who writes a grant and receives funding.
- A Grant Writing Course designed for Postdoc participants to produce a grant at the end of the six week program. We also provide a Lab Management Course designed for Postdocs participants to learn budget management, safe lab practices, and career management. The Translational Medicine Course will introduce every aspect of preparing and conducting a clinical and translational science research program. Finally, a Job Skill Course designed to describe an array of career options outside academic research, help you build a resume, and develop and implement a career management plan.
- Funding for Postdocs to take 6 hours each year that would enhance career development. Professional Development classes in areas such as English as a 2nd language, presentation skills, or research ethics are some that are frequently taken.
- Workshops or seminars on topics of interest to Postdocs are conducted on an on-going basis.
- Open communication with the UAB Postdoctoral Association concerning issues of importance to Postdocs.
- Available to help mentors or Postdocs with questions or problems that may arise.