What Can the OPE Do For You?
The Office of Postdoctoral Education provides:
- An information packet for faculty to give to postdoc candidates during recruiting and interviewing. The packet includes information about Birmingham and UAB postdoctoral issues such as insurance, vacation, maternity leave, policies and procedures, and available awards.
- Informational advertisement about UAB on a regular basis in journals such asScience, Nature, and New Scientist.
- Opportunities for postdocs to compete twice yearly for Career Enhancement Awards (CEA) which provide up to $1500 for collaborative research with other universities, attending workshops or courses to learn new skills or internships up to 1 month.
- A twice-yearly grant writing workshop designed for postdoc participants to produce a grant at the end of the six week program. A Postdoctoral Scholar Award of $2000 is given to any postdoc who writes a grant and receives funding.
- Funding for postdocs to take 1 class each year that would enhance career development. Professional Development classes in areas such as English as a 2nd language, presentation skills, or research ethics are some that are frequently taken.
- Workshops or seminars on topics of interest to postdocs are conducted on an on-going basis. A recent seminar presented by the Associate Director of International Scholar and Student Services provided clarification about visa issues and recent visa changes.
- Open communication with the UAB Postdoctoral Association concerning issues of importance to postdocs.