UAB seeking Director of e-Learning and Professional Education
Position: Director of e-Learning and Professional Education
Position Description: The Director will lead the efforts of the Office of e-Learning and Professional Education. It is important that the new office interface with two existing Vice Provost offices through the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and Office of Enrollment Management. This is a staff position.
The Director will be responsible for quality oversight and enrollment growth of all blended and totally online programming at UAB. Quality review will be based upon both the mandatory accreditation criteria of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and the voluntary Sloan-C Quality Scorecard for the Administration of Online Programs. The Sloan scorecard, which has been vetted before SACSCOC, will provide a basis for a standardized self-study of the online programs and infrastructure at UAB. Additionally, the new office will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct an initial, internal "self-study" of UAB online programs using the Sloan-C quality scorecard as a way to establish a standardized baseline for improvement and create buy-in for a centralized system.
- Develop and maintain university policies related to online learning and professional education and services, consistent with SACSCOC and Sloan-C Guidelines.
- Meet with faculty members to encourage and support the development of online academic and professional studies courses.
- Partner with traditional academic units to expand new online interdisciplinary academic degrees and/or certificates.
- Partner with traditional academic units to expand online course offerings. Increase the number of students in online courses.
- Partner with the UAB Health Systems and UAB Hospital to develop a series of professional education courses for personnel in the UAB Health Systems. Partner with the United States Department of Defense (DOD) to optimize online course offerings and professional services to provide educational opportunities to the active-duty and retired military, as well as civilians working in the DOD and its branches.
- Actively seek community and corporate partnerships for development of new academic and professional education programming, which is responsive to the contemporary, global business environment.
- Investigate fee for service projects with industry partners and the UAB Health System.
- Collaborate with Deans, Department Chairs and the Center for Teaching and Learning to overcome obstacles to interdisciplinary, online teaching and scholarship.
- Collaborate with the UAB National Alumni Society to promote lifelong learning through the UAB World Campus.
- Help to create structural changes in support of interdisciplinary, online activities
- Work with the university development office to create strategies for interdisciplinary, online program fundraising.
- Provide information about interdisciplinary, online programs to the UAB community and external organizations.
- Develop a sustainable business model to support the activities of this office
Qualifications: PhD and demonstrated experience in developing and offering online courses and/or adult professional studies programs.
Applications will be accepted until May 6, 2013.